Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Time Control is not executing any task

Default Time Control is not executing any task

Hi community
    I am having a problem with executing tasks with the Time Control of Zenon. A lot of testing and forum search has been done by me at the last days without fixing the problem.

We are running two Zenon server in redundancy and a client.
    All using Zenon 8.10 SP0 Build 67223 64-bit, Supervisor edition on server and client.
    The client should execute a VBA script for copying a file to a share once a day.

1. I created the VBA function on the client project with additional logging in case it has been called. So I know it worked
    2. A function has been created under the client project to call the VBA macro.
    3. A TimeControl entry has been created within the client project to call the function
    4. Zenon HMI on Client has been restarted -> no VBA called at the given time even after some days.
    5. Server HMI has been restarted in case of I-don't-know.

Here is the screenshot of the Time Control settings. In the meantime I added different entries to check if a simple bit toggle is executed. But none of these entries is working.

What did I wrong?
    Is there a known issue with the used Zenon version?

Thanks in advanced
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zenon_TimeControl_Settings.PNG  

2. #
    Best Answer

Default Re: Time Control is not executing any task

you wrote:
    >the Zenon function and the time control is located in the client

How you made the location just for client???

The Functions and Time Control are designed in the zenon project. The same project runs on network server(s) and clients. Thus, the function with check-box 'current computer' is executed on network server as the network server is the location where the execution of Time Control is calling this function.

Change by function the execution to 'client' , then Time Control on server will send a network request to the network clients to execute their functions.

If the function is in not network but standalone (?) subproject, then project the Time Control in this standalone project, not in server's project. But, to the terminology, a standalone subproject is not a client. It is a individual project running independently on any PC.
    Hint: the SYSDRV delivers variables with computer name, with role in the network etc.
    Last edited by ursulak : 6th September 2021 at 12:33

Time Control is running on the primary Server, not on network clients. Is the zenon function configured to be executed on the client? or default so the 'current computer' (function properties - execution). The current computer will be the server.

ursulak, thank you for the fast reply.

At the moment the VBA script is in the client VBA code, the Zenon function and the time control is located in the client.
    I now understand that the Time Control of the client could not be used but on the server.

But the VBA script is using local folders from the client to copy files.
    If I use the Time Control on the server an call the script from the client, are these client folders still working?
    I guess not, because the script is executed in the scope of the server nevertheless what is setup in the function execution.

So I have to rewrite the code to access the client folders from the server. Is that right?
    This is how it looks at the Time Control of the server now:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zenon_TimeControl_Server_Settings.PNG   Zenon_Function_Settings.PNG  

Best Answer

you wrote:
    >the Zenon function and the time control is located in the client

How you made the location just for client???

The Functions and Time Control are designed in the zenon project. The same project runs on network server(s) and clients. Thus, the function with check-box 'current computer' is executed on network server as the network server is the location where the execution of Time Control is calling this function.

Change by function the execution to 'client' , then Time Control on server will send a network request to the network clients to execute their functions.

If the function is in not network but standalone (?) subproject, then project the Time Control in this standalone project, not in server's project. But, to the terminology, a standalone subproject is not a client. It is a individual project running independently on any PC.
    Hint: the SYSDRV delivers variables with computer name, with role in the network etc.
    Last edited by ursulak : 6th September 2021 at 12:33

Sorry for being misleading with 
    >the Zenon function and the time control is located in the client
    I wanted to say that I had set up the Time Control and the Function in the client project of Zenon.

Regarding your answer, I set the server now to do the Time Control and execute the Function on the client.
    On the client I set up the function to be executed only on the clients.

I know that I could use the SYSDRV to get the computer name. So I could check in VBA for the computer name of a client if I only want the VBA code to be executed at a special client.
    So I am fine with this.

On last question about this:
    In our server project we have multiple clients. Each client project shows/controls a different part of a production line. The VBA script I want to execute is only available on one of these clients. What happens if the network request of the server is not able to be executed on the other clients? Because the other clients do not have the VBA code and Function defined in their project.

@henrybell
    It's a kind of scheduler. But different from the Zenon -> Scheduler there is no runtime control for it. It is just for executing task in the background also cyclic.
    Here is the doc for version 8.10.

other clients will probably log an error or warning message.

Daumen hoch Re: Time Control is not executing any task

Thank you for support and information, ursulak. 
    I used the Time Control in the server as discussed and I can confirm that it works now as expected.