Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Switch with more than 2 states

Default Switch with more than 2 states

Hello Everyone,

I have some difficulties to make what I wanted. I wanted to create a switch with more than 2 possible states and to change the state of the switch when I click on it on RunTime.
    But, I succeeded to create a switch with more than 2 states, but the way to change the value is to set the value with a box. I wanted to know if what I want is possible and how I can do it ?

Thanks for the help.

2. #
    Best Answer

Default Re: Switch with more than 2 states

The look of a symbol can only change if the linked variable changes the value. Thus, also if you link symbol with an internal, not process, variable, this variable must change value by your click on the symbol.

As if you take just the same variable as command and response, you are doing unusual things, so there is no direct 'Editor: one click' solution.

I can only repeat my proposal: for demonstration purpose you can use just one and internal variable. Cover your switch symbol with 2 invisible buttons. One button link with zenon function 'write set value' 0 to the variable linked with the symbol and another to set value 1 (both functions with option 'directly to HW'). Depending the switch position you configure - via 'visibility' of the buttons - that only one button is visible: by value 0 (is open) - this to set 1 (close), by other switch positions (1 - close, 2 - intermediate, 3 - error) - this to set value 0 (open).

it looks that you want to send a command via the same variables which represent the position of the switch. What communication protocol you plan to use in your system? In professional energy protocol - like IEC 61850, DNP3, IEC 60870 - the commands (outputs) and responses (inputs) are different data points. In this model the commands can only have value 0 or 1 (it is not allowed to force position 'intermediate' or 'error' on the switch). And this control and monitoring directions are split as the mechanics of the switch needs time to move the switch (and sometimes the final result is different as the command -> intermediate /error). 

For demonstration purpose on only one variable you can cover your switch symbol with 2 invisible buttons. One button link with zenon function 'write set value' 0 and another to set value 1 (both functions with option 'directly to HW'). Depending the switch position you configure - via 'visibility' of the buttons - that only one button is visible: by value 0 (is open) - this to set 1 (close), by other switch positions (1 - close, 2 - intermediate, 3 - error) - this to set value 0 (open).  

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post
    it looks that you want to send a command via the same variables which represent the position of the switch. What communication protocol you plan to use in your system? In professional energy protocol - like IEC 61850, DNP3, IEC 60870 - the commands (outputs) and responses (inputs) are different data points. In this model the commands can only have value 0 or 1 (it is not allowed to force position 'intermediate' or 'error' on the switch). And this control and monitoring directions are split as the mechanics of the switch needs time to move the switch (and sometimes the final result is different as the command -> intermediate /error). 

For demonstration purpose on only one variable you can cover your switch symbol with 2 invisible buttons. One button link with zenon function 'write set value' 0 and another to set value 1 (both functions with option 'directly to HW'). Depending the switch position you configure - via 'visibility' of the buttons - that only one button is visible: by value 0 (is open) - this to set 1 (close), by other switch positions (1 - close, 2 - intermediate, 3 - error) - this to set value 0 (open).  

Thanks for your answer. I will give you more details to understand my issue. This switch is not link to a input or output variable, it's link to an internal variable. What I want to make is to decide the position of my switch on my RunTime, it will not affect the position of the switch in real. I want to make a commutable switch with more than 2 positions and to change the position by clicking on the switch on the RunTime, not by setting a value.

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

The look of a symbol can only change if the linked variable changes the value. Thus, also if you link symbol with an internal, not process, variable, this variable must change value by your click on the symbol.

As if you take just the same variable as command and response, you are doing unusual things, so there is no direct 'Editor: one click' solution.

I can only repeat my proposal: for demonstration purpose you can use just one and internal variable. Cover your switch symbol with 2 invisible buttons. One button link with zenon function 'write set value' 0 to the variable linked with the symbol and another to set value 1 (both functions with option 'directly to HW'). Depending the switch position you configure - via 'visibility' of the buttons - that only one button is visible: by value 0 (is open) - this to set 1 (close), by other switch positions (1 - close, 2 - intermediate, 3 - error) - this to set value 0 (open).

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post

Hello, thank you for your answer. I tried your solution and it's working well now.
    Have a good day!