Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Reading health of standby IEC61850 server

Default Reading health of standby IEC61850 server

Hi

As zenon IEC 61850 client only establish connection with standby server once primary server is failed is there any way to read health of standby server even when primary server is up and running in IEC850 driver.

Regards
    Gaurav

Default Re: Reading health of standby IEC61850 server

As one IED cannot have 2 different heaths, i'm wondering why you expects that two 850-clients acquiring this health could receive different results?
    So, I'm not sure if with "standby server" you mean zenon Network Standby server or some "redundant" IED with strange (and actually not standard-compliant) architecture. Let me assume you mean zenon network.

The zenon network standby server, in the background, by default establishes all driver connections like primary server. Thus, the iec850 (client) driver communicates from both zenon network servers all the time. Just on standby server, like on zenon network clients, the user sees process data delivered by zenon process server. The data acquired by drivers running on standby server is stored in internal, local buffers and not visible.

If you want to evaluate second sets of variables, e.g. see also the "shadow" variables with values the standby is acquiring directly - then you can create second variable referring the same data attribute (e.g. health) and activate the variable property Addressing - checkbox ' Read from Standby Sever only'.
    And make sure that your iec850 driver is not configured to be 'stopped on standby server' (checkbox in driver general settings must be like default - deactivated). 

Note: if you want to use zenon network redundancy mode 'Rated' then you don't need "shadow" variables (extra variables = copies acquired by standby server). This rating evaluates anyway locally received values. 

If you have in fact not one IED but two IEDs from a manufacturer claiming that they are one "redundant" IED than such construct is not compliant with the standard. In this case I would recommend you to communicate with both IEDs like with independent devices and to combine both sets to the "best choice" values using ADP driver (Alternative Datapoints).

Hi Ursula

I do not mean zenon network itís IEC61850 IED(RTU is my case) it has 2 redundant communication processor and as per zenon IEC61850 driver it only establish connection with main processor if its available due to which my standby processor always shows a standing error of connection not establish with client.before this we were using sicam 230 and itís IEC61850 driver was somehow establishing connection with both Processor even though communication is happening with main processor .

Regards
    Gaurav

I do not know how Siemens developed own products to communicate with non-standardized devices with active and passive CPUs. I have no insight how exactly sicam 230 (product of Siemens) is working with Siemens devices. I'm experiencing that as well in IEC 60870 and IEC 61850 protocols the sicam 230 is (was) obviously using some additional (but not transparently documented) procedures to recognize that connection is to passive CPU and make the switch automatically.

If zenon iec850 driver is not switching the connection to secondary IP, then it must be something misleading in the responses from passive CPU. I propose you to record Wireshark sniff from communication between zenon iec850 driver and passive CPU and send it officially to COPA-DATA support. Maybe there will be some simpler workaround. 

From this what you posted i can only propose: create two iec850 drivers (or one driver with two connections) and both with identically addressed variables. Then in ADP driver make 1 ADP variable of each couple of iec850 variables. Then switch ADP driver depending which iec850 driver delivers process data (has healthy connection state).

as this topics are very specific for connectivity in energy, i'm moving this thread to Energy Edition node.