Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Possible to switch driver between B&R PVI driver and Allen Bradley ODVA driver in a Zenon project?

Frage Possible to switch driver between B&R PVI driver and Allen Bradley ODVA driver in a Zenon project?

Hi,

Our company is evaluating Zenon as our common HMI platform for all machines. In our standard machine range, we use either Rockwell Controllogix or B&R PLC, based on customer request. Both PLC has been programmed now in structured text and using same variable names in the codes. Is there a way I can have one Zenon project, in which i can select whether to use Rockwell or B&R PLC, without losing the link to the variables? I think it should work since the PLC variables names are the same right?

If this cannot be done, then we may have to resort to a gateway like Kepware to always provide the same variables to Zenon, irregardless of the PLC connected. And in this case, I supposed we have to connect to Kepware using OPC driver, is that right?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Elmane

Default Re: Possible to switch driver between B&R PVI driver and Allen Bradley ODVA driver in a Zenon project?

in zenon there is additional internal driver - ADP (Alternative Data Points) - where you can link two (or more) alternative variables from any process driver-> into a single ADP variable (a "virtual" variable). Then you are using e.g. in screen elements, for zenon Process Gateways, etc. the ADP variables and not the process variables directly.

The choice which process variable is 1:1 the current ADP variable the ADP driver can make automatically (it takes then from this driver which has the connection to PLC) or you can explicitly control via additional variables (single control variable for all ADP variables, or common for some subsets of variables, or even individual). 

Process variables combined into single ADP can have any names/addressing, and be from any driver, thus this solution works also with PLC with totally different programming. 

Default Re: Possible to switch driver between B&R PVI driver and Allen Bradley ODVA driver in a Zenon project?

Hi Ursulak,

Thank you for your quick response.

May I know if this driver and the configuration software comes with Zenon Operator Runtime license or do we need to buy it seperately?

Also in our program, we work with data structures. Does ADP driver allow data structure to be considered as one tag count?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Elmane

It is relatively new "internal" driver, if you do not see it then maybe you are using a too old zenon version; for updates contact your local CD Sales.

zenon Help helps:

Your process variables (PVI and ODVA) are consuming the license, the additional virtual points made of them - not. 
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ud4XxijAJA.png  

Hi Ursulak,

Thank you for your help in this matter. I am getting a trial license from Zenon to try this out and understand how it can make it work for us. If I have any problems related to this, I will post to this thread. 

Thank you.

Regards,
    Elmane