Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Importing variables and Client IED name in IEC850 driver configuration wizard

Frage Importing variables and Client IED name in IEC850 driver configuration wizard

Hello everybody,

It's my first time using IEC850 driver configuration wizard (I usually configure it with online IED's) so I have a couple of questions about it:

1. I can't see any variable in the list so I can't import them. Maybe, I should import variables from the driver and select the SCD file using File browsing but I am not sure if it is the correct/best procedure.

2. Instances of RCB's has been configured for Client IED names in SCD file. I used to configure ClientLN.iedName in RCB assignment datasets (Client1 for SERVER_SCADA1, Client2 for SERVER_SCADA2). In wizard, I know Client IED name canīt be edited and it is always grayed (empty) but I noticed It can be edited in driver configuration (RCB assignment datasets->ClientLN.iedName) after finishing wizard configuration. If I go back to wizard, the Client IED name is visible now. It is OK this procedure?

I am sharing some screenshots with you. The version of zenon Energy Edition is 8.10.

I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Jose_Alejandro

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Import variables.png   Client IED name.jpg  

Default Re: Importing variables and Client IED name in IEC850 driver configuration wizard

Ad. no variables to import in Wizard 
    On screenshot with the list of RCBs in IED (left panel) I see that all those RCBs have no data sets. Else by each RCB name you would also see the name of it's data set. No data sets, so no variables to import, and there will be no data in reports.

The devices (IEDs) are probably coming like that from the manufacturer and - before the use online - demands reconfiguration. The IEC 61850 standard is not just about communication, in the first line it is about engineering of the systems (done in SCL files). The proper communication would be then the result of proper, completed configuration of all devices (as well IEDs as 850-clients). The reconfiguration because a manufacturer delivers devices with SCL files describing all eventually possible CAPABILITIES of the device (the file has extension ICD). Then a system engineer (the Utility) gathers ICD files off all devices to design the system - to define (for each device) which of those capabilities are relevant for this particular system and what will be in use in the final configuration, e.g. how many RCB instances (probably less as capable) IEDs have to provide, which client shall use which of those RCB instances, what are the wished reporting parameters (e.g. trigger options, optional fields in the header, integrity period etc.) and what data those RCBs (data sets) are delivering; and without the data definition the reports are useless.

The IEC 61850 expects that devices are then reconfigured with the completed, well designed configuration (not ICD anymore, but proper CID files pro device); the proper CID files are the result from common SCD file describing the whole system. The Wizard is to configure the IEC850 driver basing on completed SCD file (or series of CID files). The file on screenshot has not completed RCB configuration - missing data sets (and maybe more).

If devices are not properly configured you can try to workaround the missing data sets by use of dynamical data sets (so data sets created while communicating, without definition in the SCL file). You can do this in the driver; it is not the scope of the Wizard working basing on SCL file.

Ask the system engineer (the Utility) to complete the configuration of RCBs and to update devices accordingly.

Ad. ClientLN.iedName:
    do not confuse the settings Hostname and ClientLN.iedName.
    Hostname is the name of computer which the zenon iec850 driver must know to enable the right RCB instances; and not instances of another 850-clients. It is the computer name (or zenon internal keywords $SCADA_SERVER1/2) not because of the IEC 61850 standard, but because only computer name is available for the Runtime. The ClientLN.iedName is unfortunately not available via online (MMS) services (a gap in the standard). The Runtime only knows what you/Wizard had configured in the driver and has no technical possibility to verify it in the communication with the device: if it's right (exists) and if device has some RCB for particular ClientLN.iedName. The Edition 2 of the standard had introduced it to improve, but it improves nothing  it only makes things more complex not solving difficulties to the end (disclaimer: it is my private opinion). Basing on ClientLN.iedName you can pick up from SCL the RCB instances like the system engineer was planning for your 850-client; nothing more.

So, ask the system engineer (the Utility) what ClientNL.iedName(s) are dedicated for your project. And then drag&drop those RCB instances to your driver connections. In Wizard, in right panel, the assigned ClientLN.iedname is visible in () after Hostname. While picking up RCB instances the Wizard stores the first picket up ClientLN.iedName into driver configuration to prevent mixing - to protect against the use by the same driver connection more as one ClientLN.iedName.

Ausrufezeichen Re: Importing variables and Client IED name in IEC850 driver configuration wizard

Dear ursulak,

1.  No variables to import in Wizard:

The devices (IEDs) are probably coming like that from the manufacturer and - before the use online - demands reconfiguration.
    I agree with you. I also thought that SCL file has a default configuration. I am going to ask for the proper configuration and SCL file for this case.

On screenshot with the list of RCBs in IED (left panel) I see that all those RCBs have no data sets. Else by each RCB name you would also see the name of it's data set. No data sets, so no variables to import, and there will be no data in reports.
    Could you share any SCD, CID file in order to see how RCB and Datasets should look in wizard (left panel)? I am going to try to complete the configuration with a certain IEC61850 engineering tool to obtain a proper SCL file by myself.

If devices are not properly configured you can try to workaround the missing data sets by use of dynamical data sets (so data sets created while communicating, without definition in the SCL file).
    I am going to try your advice but I think I need to check if IED's support dynamic datasets feature.

2. ClientLN.iedName:

do not confuse the settings Hostname and ClientLN.iedName.
    Hostname is the name of computer which the zenon iec850 driver must know to enable the right RCB instances; and not instances of another 850-clients. It is the computer name (or zenon internal keywords $SCADA_SERVER1/2) not because of the IEC 61850 standard, but because only computer name is available for the Runtime.
    Honestly, I thought Hostname and ClientLN.iedName are the same setting in this case. I usually set only Hostname for Primary and Standby servers (ClientLN.iedName in blank) because there were no ClientLN.iedName's in SCL file until now. In wizard manual example, I thought Hostname (computer name) should be the same as ClientLN.iedName (SCADA_Standby_CLIENT).

So, ask the system engineer (the Utility) what ClientNL.iedName(s) are dedicated for your project. And then drag&drop those RCB instances to your driver connections. In Wizard, in right panel, the assigned ClientLN.iedname is visible in () after Hostname.
    If they confirm the use and names of dedicated ClientLN.iedName in SCL file, I think configuration would be like this:
    Primary: Hostname: SCADA_SERVER1, ClientLN.iedName: Client1
    Standby: Hostname: SCADA_SERVER2, ClientLN.iedName: Client2
    And I will check if after drag and drop the correct RCB instances, ClientLN.iedName becomes visible next to Hostname automatically.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Jose.Alejandro

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails asd.png  

Default Re: Importing variables and Client IED name in IEC850 driver configuration wizard

ad. "Primary: Hostname: SCADA_SERVER1, ClientLN.iedName: Client1"

you are consequently making typing mistake in Hostname keyword (and this is also probably reason of your confusion between this keyword and example of ClientLN.iedName in ICD file):
    Hostname keyword is: $SCADA_SERVER1
    The keyword starts with "$" char. Any other text in Hostname property (e.g. text "SCADA_SERVER1" or text "$SCADA") means - it is not a keyword, but exact the computer name.

ad. "share any SCD, CID file"
    sorry but not, on a public forum I will not share files of manufactures of devices or customers.
    In Wizard the data set information looks following:

In the SCL file the information if the device supports the dynamical data sets; and the RCB configuration using an already preconfigured data set, looks following: 

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a402YaRKqm.png   7Nrl8lOHCa.png