Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: IVariableCollection and LINQ/object access performance

Default IVariableCollection and LINQ/object access performance

Hello All, 

I am facing an interesting issue with the AddIn framework which I am struggling with for a while now.

Suppose I am developing a Project Service Extension AddIn which does some background work (using TPL) on selected zenon variables. The service searches for a matching variable (or variables) in the IVariableCollection and does some processing. 

context.VariableCollection.Where(x => x.Name.Contains("Variable_Temp"));

Now, obviously, this works as intended and I get an IEnumerable containing matching objects - and it's fast enough (as expected - usually takes less than 5 ms for a rather complex project) but then I want to access an IVariable object inside my IEnumerable - and let's say I want to access any object inside it by using FirstOrDefault()

context.VariableCollection.Where(x => x.Name.Contains("Variable_Temp")).FirstOrDefault();

or by simply calling

context.VariableCollection.FirstOrDefault(x => x.Name.Contains("Variable_Temp"));

and this simple operation takes anywhere between ~3000-6000ms on my development node which is absolutely unacceptable - maybe I am missing something important, but I honestly have no idea what.

Obviously, if I refer to the variable inside the collection by its exact name (i.e. like below) it takes less than 5 ms each time.

context.VariableCollection["Variable_Temp"];

So - the question is - how can I quickly search for and access IVariable objects inside IVariableCollection not knowing their exact name or the value of any other property? Thanks for any tips.

Best regards, 
    Mikolaj

Default Re: IVariableCollection and LINQ/object access performance

Found a satisfactory workaround. Seems to me that AddIn collections simply don't like Where clauses