Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Two versions of program in parallel

Default Two versions of program in parallel

Can I use two versions of the program in parallel? I have several old projects, I'm worried about their compatibility with the new version of the system that I am going to purchase.

Anyone saying that they will never need to take out a loan, I suggest thinking twice. I was certain I wouldn’t need one like ever; little did I know. A loan practically saved me from losing a roof over my head, and I am very thankful. Try these guys if you’re ever in trouble.
    Last edited by epenterh : 31st January 2020 at 20:09

Default Re: Two versions of program in parallel

Hello epenterh,

It is possible to install and use multiple versions of the editor and/or the runtime on the same system, provided a license is available. An application called "startup tool", which is installed with the editor and with the runtime, should then be used to first register the appropriate version that is going to be used. This way you can keep different projects in the editor in their original version.

The editor also provides compatibility options. When a project is converted to the latest version of the editor, an option in the editor still allows creating runtime files for a project, for an older version of the runtime.

It is also possible to use a newer version of the runtime with runtime files compiled for an older version, without the need to convert the project in the editor.

Best regards,
    Mark

Hi Mark

Hope you are fine

According to above statement, could you please tell me, how it's possible to load compiled RT files with lower version in to upper version of zenon RT application?
    For example : in Editor version 8.10 I compiled RT files for RT version 7.50, is it possible to load these files in zenon RT version 8.10?

In fact, as my workarounds show, it is not possible to load lower version RT compiled files in current version of RT! and it returns below errors. 

Thank you in advanced

Default AW: Two versions of program in parallel

Have a look at RT changeable data in the project settings. You have to create the useradministartion (and maybe other modules from the dialogue) new for version 7.50. Simply uncheck the checkboxes in the dialogue in the column 'don't create/transport RT files'

Default Re: AW: Two versions of program in parallel

Quote Originally Posted by mst View Post
    Have a look at RT changeable data in the project settings. You have to create the useradministartion (and maybe other modules from the dialogue) new for version 7.50. Simply uncheck the checkboxes in the dialogue in the column 'don't create/transport RT files'

Hi mst

Thank you for the hints, it seems that with unchecking RT changeable data i can now load any version of zenon RT files in zenon RT 8.10 application.
    Do you have any experience on networking upper version server with lower version client ? Does this kind of networking works properly?

Thanks once again

You can have different versions on clients and server - but, you have to make sure that the runtimefiles are created for the lowest version that is installed on any machine.

For example, let's say you have a 8.10 server, one 7.50 RT Client and another 7.20 RT Client, then the RT Files must be created for version 7.20 (or lower). If you would create RT Files for 7.50, the 7.20 Clients RT wouldn't "understand" the RT Files.

Default Re: AW: Two versions of program in parallel

Quote Originally Posted by mst View Post
    You can have different versions on clients and server - but, you have to make sure that the runtimefiles are created for the lowest version that is installed on any machine.

For example, let's say you have a 8.10 server, one 7.50 RT Client and another 7.20 RT Client, then the RT Files must be created for version 7.20 (or lower). If you would create RT Files for 7.50, the 7.20 Clients RT wouldn't "understand" the RT Files.
    Dear mst

Thank you for the hints.
    So for such a variant zenon versions network, as my test (one server + one client) shows it is needed to create all RT files of a server project (which has latest version) in accordance with the lowest version in the network and these lowest files should be transport to each client RTs and also in Server RT. Right?

I am emphasizing on this issue because once i have made a ticket to HQ about connection between upper server version and lower client versions, and the answer of the technical department was that this kind of connection is not possible, and always Client should have Upper or equal version to Server version! So in somehow i was confused about the result.

Thank you so much
    Last edited by negin : 31st October 2020 at 11:04

I think they meant if you create RT Files for the default version. You can't have a server with 8.10 ED/RT and RT Files created for version 8.10 and connect a 7.50 Client to the Server - the client won't "understand" the 8.10 RT Files he gets from the server.
    But if you create RT Files for version 7.50 the 8.10 Server RT can handle these files (as the developers already knew what features are in 7.50 RT Files as they developed 8.10, but they could not know wich features there will be in version8.10 as they developed 7.50).
    Otherwise the possibility of creating RT Files for lower versions would almost have no sense.

Thank you so much mst.