Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Historian architecture

Default Historian architecture

Hi Support,

We are developing a SCADA to monitoring and control 8 electrical substations and power plants.

Customer are asking for this configuration: 02 Servers + 02 Clients + 02 Historian (redundant) in 6 different industrial computers.

For this we are buying 02 ZEE Servers + 02 ZEE Clients, but we have some doubts about redundant historian. Which licenses we need?. We think about put only 02 more clients and use embedded historian function, in the other hand, we also think put ZSQLSRV_EXSQL module in both servers, to use only MSSQL in historian computers (but the idea is the customer can see reports in historians servers also). Please, your help with the configuration choices for redundant historian.

Thanks in advance for your support.
    Regards,
    Jose Torres

Default Re: Historian architecture

Hello Jose Torres,

zenon natively supports redundancy of historical data by snychronising the historical data files (.ARX) between main and standby server.
    Evacuation, either file based or to a SQL database, is not intended to be used with two "historian servers".

If your customer insist in having hot historian redundancy you will need to go for a database cluster with one single entry point exposed to zenon.

Best regards,
    Felix

Thanks for the answer,
     I have some clarifications:
    - Its the same for customer if the redundancy of historical data is hot-hot or hot-standby (synchronizing data).
    - The requirement of the customer is both historian servers (main and standby or hotservers) will be different computers to the main and standby servers (actually main and standby server will have enough disk size to run Zenon but not for archive data). So, in this case, i can use two more clients to act as a main and stand by HISTORICAL server?. Or wich configuration i can use?

Thnaks for your support.
    Regards,
    Jose

Hello,

I guess you need: 2 server-licenses with SQL Server(ZSQLSRV) licensed in each & two Client licenses

best regards,
    Verena 

Hi Verena,

So the two clients can act as main and standby HISTORIAN server (and not main and standby servers)? I don´t need additional licenses?

Regards,
    Jose

Hello, 
    that is not true!
    the two clients are just runtime clients which connect to the two zenon runtime servers (that incl. the historian server modules)

Hi Jose,

zenon supports "transparent" data redundancy only if the data is stored on main and standby server. There all the synchronization is done by zenon and for trending, reporting etc. the data from the actual runtime server will be taken.
    zenon supports transparent evacuation of data either in binary files or to a SQL database.
    For binary files only one entry point can be configured. So you can configure zenon to i.e. write those files to a network share. If you need redundancy here you could go for a setting with a distributed file system which exposes one entry point and covers file replication in it. Microsoft server Operating Systems support that.

For SQL evacuation different databases can be configured for different archives. But for one archive, no transparent reduandancy can be configured so if the DB is not available there will also be no data available.
    Here also a database cluster with a single entry point can be used.

What is the goal of your customer?
    Does he need high availability on the data storage or is the intention just to have a backup of the historian server?

Regards,
    Felix

Hi Felix,

The reason is to send process data to a centralized SQL Server for long term storage. Main and standby SCADA servers will not have an abundance of freely-available disk space. The process data will be evacuated to a high availability SQL Server with redundant hard disk configuration (RAID1) in each Historial server (main and standy HISTORICAL Servers). Its mandatory for the customer have two independent and redundant historical servers (with SQL).

So, in my case i need put MSSQL Server in 
    a database cluster for both historial servers, and configure SQL evacuation from main and standby SCADA Servers with a single entry point in transparent evacuation? Or which other configuration you recommend us?

Thanks,
    Jose

Hi Jose,

yes, in that case you will need to create a cluster with a single entry point.
    Please note the technical detail, that the data will be recorded by ZEE main and standby server and synchronized between them but only one machine (which is in the role of process controlling server) will actually evacuate the data to the cluster.

Regards,
    Felix