Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Reading COMTRADE files automatically

Default Reading COMTRADE files automatically

Hi,

I need to read COMTRADE files from a bunch of relays (35-40) in a substation. The operator has requested a function by which all COMTRADE files can be read automatically (either by a single button or at a fixed time). Does anyone have some idea on how to go about this??

Thanks

Default Re: Reading COMTRADE files automatically

Hello,

this can be done using either zenon Logic or the programming interface (VBA/VSTA) to automatically manipulate the command and directory variable to automatically get the files.

Are you familiar with programming?
    What zenon version are you dealing with?

Regards,
    Felix

Hi siddiqi.ar,

Also relevant is the communication driver that you are using to talk to the IEDs.

Drivers like the IEC870 master driver, the IEC850 MMS client driver or the DNP3_TG master driver, offer functionality that implement file transfer over the respective protocol, that can be used to retrieve such COMTRADE files from the respective IEDs.

The drivers have slightly different mechanisms how the file transfer is initiated / controlled. When the driver is configured properly to perform the file transfer, the next step would be, as Felix suggested, to automate this process by applying a simple state machine in zenon logic or using VBA / VSTA to control the file transfer of the single files.

Best regards,
    Mark

Default Reading COMTRADE files manually

HI,
    I have received a sample project from you (Copa data) for reading the disturbance files manually. I see there are two variables created "Server1!Command" and "Server1!Directory" with data type string and driver object type as "File Transfer". Bit length is set to 255. These variables are mapped to dynamic element. The driver IEC61850 is created with a server name as "Server1" and in basic settings of Driver, the path for file transfer is given. 

All the above mentioned steps I have tried to implement in a new project, But it isnt working. In runtime when i give a command as "DIR" OR "GET" , the dynamic element is blank. Can anyone please suggest whats going wrong with my project. 

Net Address?
    Also these 'file transfer' variables have to have the 'Net Address' property value like all iec850 variables - Net Address by variable = driver configuration -> Connections -> Net Address.

Thanks everyone. Ill try these and get back.

Hi all,

I tried to read Comtrade file from IEDs but according to Manuals, there is just only command to retrieve one file at one time. Is there any commands to get all the files in comtrade folder ?

Thanks,

The 'File Transfer' procedure defined in the IEC61850 Standard does not give any possibility to get more as only a single file at once. The Standard expects that the user will get files only one by one. That's why the driver does not have such command.

If you want to get many files, then - like Felix and Mark mentioned - you will have to implement some state-machine to automate this process - in zenon Logic or using VBA / VSTA. Your code will have to analyze the result of "DIR" command - the list of files - and call "GET" for each file from this list you want to transfer.
    You will probably also move or copy these files - after transferred successfully - to another directory on the HDD (network HDD?); and after that maybe also call command "DEL" to remove old, successfully transferred, files from the IED.

Apologies for "hijacking" the thread... I'm also looking into "auto-downloading" of the COMTRADE files via IEC 61850.
    Possible to share the VBA code for the Manual Read?

Hi colleague,

Could you send me the project that you sent to salman, please?. We need to do the same function (read comtrade files).

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jose Torres