Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hysteresis / Deadband for process gateway signals

Default Hysteresis / Deadband for process gateway signals

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve a 'deadband'  on analogue inputs sent via DNP3 outstation from process gateway. Support have confirmed that PG doesn't have such a feature so I have requested that be added to roadmap for future.

In the meantime I'm trying to test best workaround i.e. take input values from process drivers (61850 and DNP3) and copy them to a temporary variable which can have hysteresis applied (which will be my output deadband).. this temporary variable will then be mapped to process gateway.

I'm doing some testing with an internal variable, but the hysteresis never seems to work.

Set up as follows VAR_INPUT - internal variable, no hysteresis applied
    VAR_OUTPUT - math driver mapped so it is =VAR_INPUT, but with hysteresis applied. Problem is that the hysteresis is ignored.. every change is mapped through to VAR_OUTPUT. I also tried using the ADP driver, but it's exactly the same. Is there a correct way to map 1 variable to another and have the hysteresis work?

Ive looked at the other threads on hysteresis and 850, but they don't solve my use case.

Note I want the input variable (which is what I display on HMI) to always change when the process changes, it's only the variable sent via PG that should have hysteresis applied.

Prefer to not use VBA to achieve this if possible, but welcome any suggestion.

Note I have seen this work before, but it was on a Sicam 720 project so not sure what drivers were used.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default Re: Hysteresis / Deadband for process gateway signals

From a bit of digging through the driver manuals it seems math driver & ADP cant use hysteresis.

Is there another driver type I can use to map temporary variables on to?

You can use variables from SIMUL32 driver, this non-process driver supports hysteresis. In the 'Data sheet' of each driver (to find in docu of a driver and in the Editor's dialog to create new driver instance) there is "Hysteresis: yes/no" entry.

In Simulator driver: create a mode variable to stop the simulation (or do it directly in zenon6.ini). Or use in the project the variables of 'driver object type' = "HD".

Note: it is an address-, not name-, based driver, so each variable has to have an unique 'Offset' addressing setting (and not only different name).

Dear Dave,

did you consider zenon Logic in your thoughts?
    I think it offers the most flexibility if you set the incoming variable to "external visible", do your hysteresis logic in zenon logic and write your "hysteryzed" value to a new zenon logic variable.
    That variable then can be used for forwarding...

Regards,
    Felix

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post
    You can use variables from SIMUL32 driver, this non-process driver supports hysteresis. In the 'Data sheet' of each driver (to find in docu of a driver and in the Editor's dialog to create new driver instance) there is "Hysteresis: yes/no" entry.

In Simulator driver: create a mode variable to stop the simulation (or do it directly in zenon6.ini). Or use in the project the variables of 'driver object type' = "HD".

Note: it is an address-, not name-, based driver, so each variable has to have an unique 'Offset' addressing setting (and not only different name).
    Thanks Ursula. I have not used the SIMUL32" driver before... how do I 'map' the incoming signal to the simulated point?

Quote Originally Posted by felixst View Post
    Dear Dave,

did you consider zenon Logic in your thoughts?

I think it offers the most flexibility if you set the incoming variable to "external visible", do your hysteresis logic in zenon logic and write your "hysteryzed" value to a new zenon logic variable.

That variable then can be used for forwarding...

Regards,

Felix
    Felix,

I hadnt considered zenon logic... mainly as I've never used it before!

I would ideally like to do this directly in Zenon as if we start having to use the logic editor, creating variables in there etc. it will get confising for someone to add to in future.

If I create such a logic module do I need to create specific variables for every point in the logic editor, or can I create a 'template' variable which substitutes in the required var at runtime? I assume in the zenon project there needs to be a corresponding 'starton' variable for every input variable I'm mapping of course.

Thanks,
    Dave 

Quote Originally Posted by HMIdeveloper123 View Post

Thanks Ursula. I have not used the SIMUL32" driver before... how do I 'map' the incoming signal to the simulated point?

Nevermind, I completely missed the 'Allocation' tool under variables. I have been able to map to a simulation point successfully.

I knew there must be a (relatively) simple way to do this without VBA or logic.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction Ursula.

Dave