Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Backfill Trend data using DNP3

Default Backfill Trend data using DNP3

Hi guys

I am using Zenon Supervisor as a central SCADA monitoring @ 400 RTUs that send data on DNP3 protocol, over GPRS modems.

The requirement is that whenever the communication link fails, the data must be logged in the RTU. We are using Sixnet RTUs that have this data logging feature. This way, time-stamped data is being saved in the RTU in a .csv file.

When communication is restored, the SCADA server must automatically retrieve this stored data and backfill trends, alarms and other logs.

Can somebody tell me if this feature is available in Zenon. Most other DNP3 drivers like that from Schneider support this feature.

"This is the inherited feature of DNP protocol that you can enable the event logging in the RTU or in other logging device when there is
     a communication loss between SCADA and RTU. In this case RTU log the value of data linked with time to log the certain samples.

All the DNP Client will have the feature to retrieve the logged information from stored events as soon as the communication gets established
    again. Similarly Vijeo Citect is having this feature also there is no such limitation with Vijeo Citect. There are certain parameters which will have
    to setup in Citect INI parameter file retrieve those logged event in Trend graph automatically."

Regards

Default Re: Backfill Trend data using DNP3

Hi rajsiyer,

The DNP3_TG driver, by default, performs event class polls cyclically. All event objects received in an answer to an event class poll, are assigned to the corresponding points / variables in zenon. Such event objects also contain time stamp information, which is taken over by the DNP3_TG driver and is available in the zenon runtime.

You can view both the external timestamp from the event and the internal timestamp when the event was received, in the alarm list or the event list. For binary points, it is the task of the outstation to send the events in the exact order in which these have occurred.

Depending on the configuration of the historian, an open archive with spontaneous scanning will accept all the received events and subsequently be able to display this also in a trend.

With the DNP3_TG driver, you also have advanced communication statistics available, for monitoring the communication.

When you don't want to use cyclic event class polling, you can also have manual control of the (event) class polling and perform this on a schedule.

If your DNP3 outstations are dual-endpoint outstations and support unsolicited responses, you could configure the DNP3_TG master to enable unsolicited responses and use a dual endpoint. On startup the DNP3_TG master could get the initial values and any existing events, in an integrity (Class 0) poll, activate unsolicited responses and close the TCP connection.

Whenever the Outstation has an unsolicited response to send, the outstation would establish the TCP connection to the DNP3 master and send the unsolicited response. The master would only establish the TCP connection e.g. for a cyclic integrity poll.

You will find that there are many possibilities with the DNP3_TG master driver in zenon, which is subset level 1,2,3 and 4 compliant for both requests and responses.

Best regards,
    Mark

Thanks Mark, for your quick and kind reply.

Perhaps its easy for you.. but I'm new to both Zenon & DNP3. Problem is that I can't begin to understand what you've taken great pains to explain.

I would like step by step guidance to setup any one way for back-filling data.

We're using Sixnet IPMM RTUs that are able to communicate with Zenon using the DNP3-TG driver. Now I would like a single method to demonstrate recovery of data in case of communication loss.

I have created the driver on the following screen. Can you suggest what to do next?

In this screen there are 2 paths for file-transfer & reverse FT path directories.. Does this mean that we have to configure data logging within the RTU (outstation device) and these paths have to point to the location of the logged data within the RTU? 

Please also guide us where in Zenon help this is mentioned.

Thanks a million, and best wishes.

Raj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Driver.png  

Dear Mark,

I am attaching the configuration screen of our RTU. 

I didn't quite understand the term "dual end-point" outstation. But It seems to support unsolicited responses. It is also Level 2+ compatible.

So.. to put it all together please guide me what to do next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RTU_DNP3.png  

Dear Raj,

If the outstation supports Dual Endpoint, I would expect these settings on the page for the physical layer.

The file transfer settings in the DNP3_TG driver allow configuring a directory on the local HMI, where files from the outstation should be stored if file transfer is used or where files that need to be sent to the outstation are stored locally. File transfer for DNP3 is explained in the driver manual of the DNP3_TG driver.

Files transferred using DNP3 file transfer are only transferred and not used by the zenon runtime system, since these could contain any kind of data and usually are vendor specific.

For retrieving events, you driver configuration is generally configured correctly. One thing you could to, is check the "unsolicited" boxes next to the event class polling intervals, to have the mater enable unsolicited responses.

One thing which I don't see from the outstation configuration is, if the outstation is capable of storing multiple events for a single point or only the latest event. Typically, this can be configured.

If you want the outstation to store events while the master is not connected, you will need to have the outstation store multiple events for a single point. The DNP3_TG master can then retrieve all these events on connection establishment.

In regard to the setting for the "real time data traces" in the outstation configuration, I don't know what this does and what is contained in the file configured at the "device" setting.

Best regards,
    Mark

Cool Re: Backfill Trend data using DNP3

If the outstation supports Dual Endpoint, I would expect these settings on the page for the physical layer.
    I've attached the Physical layer config. tab screen-shot. it isn't listed there.

One thing which I don't see from the outstation configuration is, if the outstation is capable of storing multiple events for a single point or only the latest event. Typically, this can be configured.
    If you want the outstation to store events while the master is not connected, you will need to have the outstation store multiple events for a single point. The DNP3_TG master can then retrieve all these events on connection establishment.
    Yes this can be configured for the outstation as a whole. Pl look at the area circled in red. It is possible to record events for 3.6 million secs (@41 days!) Memory is 32MB and there is  provision to delete either the oldest or newest events.

In regard to the setting for the "real time data traces" in the outstation configuration, I don't know what this does and what is contained in the file configured at the "device" setting.
    This is for creating a log-file. Sample of which is attached. After creating a threshold for 20 events, we retrieved this log file. Perhaps you can make better sense of it than us.

We have just configured BI as Class-1 & AI as Class-2 & Dead Band We given in RTU 0.1 

Best regards,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails App Lyr.png   BI Class-1.png   Data Lnk Lyr.png   Phys Layer.png  

Quote Originally Posted by rajsiyer View Post

I've attached the Physical layer config. tab screen-shot. it isn't listed there.
    OK; I assume that this is then not supported. It may have fitted your use case but it is not necessary to use events.

Yes this can be configured for the outstation as a whole. Pl look at the area circled in red. It is possible to record events for 3.6 million secs (@41 days!) Memory is 32MB and there is provision to delete either the oldest or newest events.
    I did not see anything circled in red in one of the screenshots.

This is for creating a log-file. Sample of which is attached. After creating a threshold for 20 events, we retrieved this log file. Perhaps you can make better sense of it than us.

There was no sample attached. As mentioned, this usually is vendor specific anyway.

We have just configured BI as Class-1 & AI as Class-2 & Dead Band We given in RTU 0.1
    OK, when you e.g. record every value and status change of the Binary Inputs in the zenon event list in the runtime, using a reaction matrix, and link the reaction matrix to the binary input variables, you should see these events in the event list in the runtime after the driver establishes a connection and some changes are made to the binary inputs. When you then disconnect the outstation, make again some changes to the binary inputs and connect the outstation again, the events should show up in the event list.

Best regards,
    Mark

Thanks Mark.

Finally, we got it right. It is very simple. All We have to do is to enable unsoilicited responses (on Zenon and RTU as well)and configure events on the RTU side as well. 

All other settings in Zenon were kept at default. It is not even necessary to configure events on analog variables in Zenon. The events generated by RTU were faithfully stored in the outstation during a loss of comms. And when comms was re-established, the DNP3 protocol automatically fills up the events and trends in Zenon.

What we didn't understand earlier was that events at the RTU could be configured at the inputs.. ie. AIs, DIs & Modbus 3xxx Input registers. 

Thanks to your guidance we finally understood DNP3.