Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Remote OPC DA Server with Zenon OPC Client

Default Remote OPC DA Server with Zenon OPC Client

Hi,

We have to connect a Zenon Supervisor (OPC DA Client) with a third party SCADA (OPC DA Server) in the same network (actually there will be connected in the same ethernet switch). I was reading the manual and you donīt recommend use OPC Client in network (you said only local connection are supported). Also, third party vendor will not accept use OPC UA (that means buy license for them), neither other protocol; and i think it will be very difficult install our Zenon software in their computers (neither OPC datahubs like Matrikon or Cogent).

However, they accept do some test together (modyfing DCOM and other settings) in laboratory to establish OPC DA communication before go to site. The question is: itīs possible establish the communication working together (I know itīs the complex way), or itīs no possible to establish this kind of communication?.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
    José Luis Torres

Default Re: Remote OPC DA Server with Zenon OPC Client

Hello José Luis Torres,

Let me phrase what is written in the help in a different way.

When this is a non-critical communication, when you are OK with the fact that the communication may fail at any given time, without the OPC2Cli32 driver noticing right away, when you are OK with the fact that after communication failure or restart of the OPC Server, there may not be automatic reconnect and when you are OK with the fact that it may be necessary to restart both the system with the OPC client driver (zenon runtime) and the system with the OPC server, and when you are OK with the fact that advanced DCOM configuration in Windows is required, and when you are OK with the fact that a future Windows Update may require you to make changes and when you are OK that there will be no support for configuring DCOM or any issues with the OPC2Cli32 driver while using DCOM, you are free to give it a try. Since we do not recommend it and officially do not support it, there will be no guarantee that you can make it work although technically it might.

I'd suggest contacting your local COPA-DATA support to look again what alternatives there may be.

Best regards,
    Mark