Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Checking communication presence with secondary IP address(device) while primary communication is established

Frage Checking communication presence with secondary IP address(device) while primary communication is established

Hello team,

In many of the drivers, we have option to enter a secondary IP address/ redundant IP address. In my case IEC 60870 client driver.
    My requirement is, while my SCADA is communicating with the primary IP address in the driver, I want to check the healthiness of the secondary IP address at regular time period.
    If not healthy I want to create a event/alarm.

Please suggest on this.
    Regards,
    Joel

Best Answer

Default Re: Checking communication presence with secondary IP address(device) while primary communication is established

Quote Originally Posted by joelprasad View Post
    Hello team,

In many of the drivers, we have option to enter a secondary IP address/ redundant IP address. In my case IEC 60870 client driver.

My requirement is, while my SCADA is communicating with the primary IP address in the driver, I want to check the healthiness of the secondary IP address at regular time period.

If not healthy I want to create a event/alarm.

Please suggest on this.
    Hi,
    you have some options.
    Probably the best would be the SNMP
    Driver, next to Pingstate one can monitor the whole network e.g. state
    of a port on a networkswitch.
    further reading SNMPNG32 > Creating variables > Driver objects and datatypes > Driver objects |Ping status

Another option would be to use the programming interface (VSTA/Addin), for reference check https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ramework-4.7.2

Best regards
    Sigi

Default Re: Checking communication presence with secondary IP address(device) while primary communication is established

Only if 870-slave (PLC) would support redundancy according Edition 2 of IEC60870 standard - then you may activate the special redundancy mode in iec870 driver (checkbox in driver settings) and the driver will open both sockets simultaneously. And only then the driver will know all the time, if both IPs are available and healthy; and you could evaluate this info on additional 'status of data link layer' variable - T00, COA 0, IOA 1.
    Without redundancy according 870 Edition 2 it is not possible to check availability of connection basing on IEC60870 protocol. Thus, the iec870 driver opens the TCP socket for secondary IP first when the primary IP is broken. That's why you would have to use another protocol (so, another driver), e.g. SNMP - like Sigi proposed.

Daumen hoch Re: Checking communication presence with secondary IP address(device) while primary communication is established

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post

Only if 870-slave (PLC) would support redundancy according Edition 2 of IEC60870 standard - then you may activate the special redundancy mode in iec870 driver (checkbox in driver settings) and the driver will open both sockets simultaneously. And only then the driver will know all the time, if both IPs are available and healthy; and you could evaluate this info on additional 'status of data link layer' variable - T00, COA 0, IOA 1.
    Without redundancy according 870 Edition 2 it is not possible to check availability of connection basing on IEC60870 protocol. Thus, the iec870 driver opens the TCP socket for secondary IP first when the primary IP is broken. That's why you would have to use another protocol (so, another driver), e.g. SNMP - like Sigi proposed.

Thank You Ursula & Sigi
    Regards,
    Joel