Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Modbus Driver not switching between adapters

Default Modbus Driver not switching between adapters

Hi Support team

I'm using Zenon Energy 7.5 and communicating with IEDs using Zenon 61850 Driver through redundant fiber switches (L2 & L1)
    Also I'm monitoring the switches alarms and port status using Modbus Driver in Zenon.

My Srvr (windows 7 Pro) has 2 network Adapters each adapter is connected to differen switch from L2 (lvl 2 switches) and each L2 switch is connected to different L1 (lvl 1) switch and at last the L1 switches are connected together creating a loop between all switches.
    each IED has 2 redundant Fiber connection with the Two L1 switches).

When I disconnect the adapter (the active one) from the srvr:
    1. Zenon 61850 driver is not inturupted and the IEDs signals are still valid on runtime.
    2. Zenon modbus driver stops communicating with the Modbus slaves (the switches) although I still can ping all of them because of the loop connection.

My observed problem is that 61850 Driver is switching between the Srvr adapters or actually polling from both all the time.
    But the modbus driver is polling only from one adapter and when I pull out the rj45 cable from that adapter or the L2 switch that is connected with that adapter fails off, Zenon Modbus driver is not switching to the srvr second network adapter.

Kindly need suport if there is possible update for zenon modbus driver or aditional configuration is needed in Zenon

Best Regards

Default Re: Modbus Driver not switching between adapters

Are you using MODRTU or MODBUS_Energy driver?
    The MODRTU driver does not have a setting for secondary IP address; no setting, no automatic switch to another IP.

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post
    Are you using MODRTU or MODBUS_Energy driver?
    The MODRTU driver does not have a setting for secondary IP address; no setting, no automatic switch to another IP.

Thank you for the reply

I'm Using MODRTU,

I've tried creating bridge connection on the physical adapters on windows but..
    then I've got one IP & one MAC address on both adapters (now MODRTU don't need to switch over), but was not suitable with the switches security, because we are filtering the switch port by MAC address
    and when we define the SRVR MAC at port 2 of the switch, the switch is not allowing the MAC to access from other port like the loop port in our case

any advise please

Best Regards

My advise for you: try out the MODBUS_Energy driver. It is a MODBUS Master on TCP/IP; absolutely usual MODBUS if the setting 'IED type' is "none". This driver has configuration settings for primary and secondary IP addresses and switches connection automatically. And even more: it has a special driver command "SwitchConnection" to force also manually the switch between these IPs.

The MODRTU driver on doubled Ethernet network topology would work only if the network would use PRP (Parallel Redundancy Protocol). So only if you completely change your Ethernet active components (e.g. switches) to such supporting PRP. The PRP is very good solution, highly recommended, but i suppose your Ethernet infrastructure is already chosen to non-PRP. 

Quote Originally Posted by ursulak View Post
    My advise for you: try out the MODBUS_Energy driver. It is a MODBUS Master on TCP/IP; absolutely usual MODBUS if the setting 'IED type' is "none". This driver has configuration settings for primary and secondary IP addresses and switches connection automatically. And even more: it has a special driver command "SwitchConnection" to force also manually the switch between these IPs.

The MODRTU driver on doubled Ethernet network topology would work only if the network would use PRP (Parallel Redundancy Protocol). So only if you completely change your Ethernet active components (e.g. switches) to such supporting PRP. The PRP is very good solution, highly recommended, but i suppose your Ethernet infrastructure is already chosen to non-PRP. 

Tried PRP, but to make it work I need to create network bridge and that is uniting the MAC address for both adapters on my srvr and I need to have two for My Switches security

Also now I'm in contact with Siemens to check the switches security settings to allow one mac Address on Tow ports

MODBUS_Energy driver is switching between the Slave IPs, but can it switch between my SRVR IPs (Network Adapters)?

>MODBUS_Energy driver is switching between the Slave IPs, but can it switch between my SRVR IPs (Network Adapters)?

It is the same: to switch between IPs is switching between adapters.

If you have 2 network adapters in a single PC, then you must configure these adapters to be in 2 different subnets. Windows gives warnings if you try to setup 2 physical Ethernet cards in the same subnet as then it would be not possible - for Operating System - to assure for application the choice of the interface to open the socket. So a PC with 2 adapters having the same subnet mask will anyway communicate using only one (or random) interface as Operating System cannot identify where an application want to open an handling. 

Thus: either bridged adapters (but then other problems) or 2 adapters in 2 different subnets. 

If 2 different subnets, then each slave IP has to be in different subnet (else these slaves would conflict). And then the switch of IP of slave means automatically switching of IP to another adapter. The Operating System makes Sockets, not an application.