Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Zenon Analyzer 2.20 installation

Default Zenon Analyzer 2.20 installation

I FOUND Gilbert Meilaender's article challenging and puzzling ("Interfaith prayer," Oct. 23-Nov. 5). One question that was not addressed is: What did all the participants involved in the Yankee Stadium event think they were doing?

Basic to the Missouri Synod's charges against David Benke for participating in the event is the idea that he was somehow affirming the validity of the faith and practice of all the other participants and thus denying the one in whose name he prayed. Does extra eccesiam nulla salus (outside of the Roman Catholic Church there is no salvation) still apply? Although at least four of the faiths represented might affirm that "there is only one being who alone must be glorified and can be totally trusted and obeyed [God]," isn't that affirmation incomplete and inadequate unless accompanied by Torah, Jesus the Messiah, Muhammad the last and definitive prophet, etc.?

In some ways our Greek Orthodox friends are the most exclusive major church body--they will usually exclude me from communion. Were they affirming "my way" at the stadium? Several decades of close personal relations with pious Muslims proved to me that, though they can tolerate me and other representatives of "the people of the book," friendship with me might be contraindicated according to the Qur'an (I am happy that many chose to ignore that) https://www.footguru.net/best-insole...nding-all-day/ and they could certainly not affirm my understanding of God or of Jesus.

Luther T. Engelbrecht
    Seattle, Wash.
    In the context of the current social and religious pluralism in the U.S., Gilbert Meilaender's piece is timely and sorely needed. It penetrates deeply into dilemmas crucial to interfaith and national issues. His "puzzling" approach breathes integrity. The questions he poses, however, allow for answers that are both complex and simple. Participation in a civic event in a timely of national crisis requires representative religious leaders to witness succinctly and thoughtfully to the significance of our national and individual relationship to the deity. That is the simple part. The complexity is that their witness will veer in diverse directions. The public response will range from indifference to indignation, but some will be stirred to reflection and to reverence. I consider Meilaender's deliberations outstanding.

Omar Stuenkel
    Belle Vista, Ark.
    There are two errors in Gilbert Meilaender's otherwise stellar article. As a New York City pastor, I have preached and participated in a number of interfaith services since September 11. In every case these services were planned as neither "prayer" nor a nationalistic worship of "America the beautiful." Therefore neither Meilaender's brilliant exegesis of 1 Corinthians 8-10 nor his use of C. S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles exactly applies to them. These were and still are proclamation events, and therefore fall precisely under the rubric Meilaender dismisses, namely the account in Acts of St. Paul's preaching on Mars Hill.

In this case, what was proclaimed by a "group of Catholics, Lutherans, Jews, Muslims, Episcopalians, Greek Orthodox, Sikhs, Buddhists, Presbyterians and Hindus" is a message directly opposed to the message proclaimed by the September 11 terrorists, their supporters and those who call for a "crusade" against them. The core of these religious faiths is not war, revenge, hatred, exclusion or extermination, but love, joy, peace and peacemaking. How one is able to exhibit these is a matter of debate both within and among the faiths.

That proclamation, rather than nationalistic worship or parallel prayer, was and is the organizing factor in these interfaith events. Most of those who participate in such gatherings are also public in their opposition to preemptive war with Iraq. That is a consistency worth reporting. It is that very consistency of core values that enabled Paul to preach in reference to an "unknown god" on Mars Hill and say, "This I proclaim to you." That same consistency, now under attack by extremists in all faith communities, compels us to proclamation in interfaith gatherings. It is of inestimable importance that more members of our faith communities do likewise.

Amandus J. Derr
    New York, N. Y.
    As director of St. Peter's Lutheran School in Brooklyn, New York, I speak for myself and our staff in stating that we are in complete agreement with Gilbert Meilaender. David Benke's prayer is "foolish," at least according to the wisdom of human organizations.

It seems "foolish" to Meilaender that Benke prayed a prayer in Jesus' name at Yankee Stadium in front of the whole world after our Twin Towers were destroyed. The whole world heard the name of Jesus on that day because Benke was not ashamed to witness in public. Maybe human organizations need to learn again that such "foolishness" is of God.

Clara DelValle,
    Brooklyn, N.Y.
    God save us from having to dig through such complex and cerebrally parsed analyses as Meilaender's on interfaith prayer when we find ourselves all too often these days standing shoulder-to-shoulder with one another in grief.

One of the great joys of God's reconciling the world to himself lies in the fact that it is no longer we who live but Christ--in whom we live, move and have our very being. Therefore, questions about who's envisioning Whom or mouthing which words to Whom upend Christianity's understanding of Who's present for whom. Such pharisaic analysis upends one of the great graces of the Christian faith. If the Spirit is not, by Trinitarian initiatives, infinite love and capability always present for us to translate our embraces and words if we share them, then our hopes and prayers are surely in vain.

But instead we're confident in the irrevocable mystery that while we'll always be doing it wrong by someone's assessment, it'll never be counted wrong by the One through whom all of our feeble efforts have been pronounced right.

John Bipes
    Mankato, Minn.
    Gilbert Meilaender replies:

LUTHER ENGELBRECHT and Omar Stuenkel respond to my essay in the ways I hope any reader would. Without agreeing entirely, they recognize that there are complex and important theological questions raised by the Yankee Stadium event--and that we need to ponder them rather than reacting in knee-jerk fashion. I would add one qualification to Engelbrecht's letter, though not necessarily one with which he would disagree. I'd want to be careful about suggesting that we are free to define the meaning of our participation in such events in any way we want. I doubt whether that is true of this or most other actions.

I'm less sure what to make of Amandus Derr's notion that a "proclamation event" would not raise some of the questions I probe. More than political speech (even religiously inspired political speech) was involved, and actions that go beyond speaking and listening were shared. I can appreciate Clara DelValle's support for her pastor, David Benke, whom, it happens, I myself know and respect. In my article I said I thought his participation was "not wise"--quite a different thing from calling it foolish.

John Bipes's letter is quite different and requires a different sort of response. His understanding of what it means to live in Christ is, in my judgment, woefully deficient. Among other things it means to ask carefully what counts as following Christ and what does not. I am, I guess, sorry that Bipes found my analysis to be "cerebrally parsed," even if I'm not quite sure what that means. I would simply note that Jesus commands us to learn to love God also with the mind.
    Last edited by saraohyland : 2nd April 2018 at 06:46

Default Re: Zenon Analyzer 2.20 installation

Hello,
    I moved your post to the right section.
    Unfortunately I do not know these errors... I hope somebody will be able to help you.
    Kind regards,

Default Re: Zenon Analyzer 2.20 installation

Hallo,

please collect the installation logs and contact your local COPA-DATA support.

Best regards,
    Felix