Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Zenon Server-Client RT Licensing

Frage Zenon Server-Client RT Licensing

Hi,

Can someone please explain which licenses are needed for this configuration:
    1x Primary Server (Historian, Ex-Trending, Message Control, Report Generator...)
    1x Secondary Server (redundancy to Primary Server)
    2x Client RT

I know that the primary and secondary server need two identical licenses for redundancy to work, but how about the client runtimes?
    Do I still need full licenses with all modules for each client RT  (basically the same licenses as for the server)?

What are the actual differences between Server and Client runtime other than a setting in the development environment? I know that server stores and handles the data and client displays this data via the server, but imagine this scenario; I have a server and a client computer and I want to use Report Generator functionality (licensed module) - this means that I would need two licenses with report generator module. One installed on the server and one on the client. The licenses would be exactly the same, same tag number, same included modules... the only thing that would diferentiate between the two computers is not the actual license, but only the setting that is set in the development environment.

If I re-think this situation, the actual question is if there are any financial benefits from having two servers and two clients from the licensing point of view?

I was wondering this for some time now, so any elaboration on this matter would be appreachiated.

Default Re: Zenon Server-Client RT Licensing

Hello Emrocon,

Quote Originally Posted by emrocon View Post
    Can someone please explain which licenses are needed for this configuration:
    1x Primary Server (Historian, Ex-Trending, Message Control, Report Generator...)
    1x Secondary Server (redundancy to Primary Server)
    2x Client RT
    Yes, your local sales partner can help you to find the perfect solution for you 

I know that the primary and secondary server need two identical licenses for redundancy to work, but how about the client runtimes?
    Do I still need full licenses with all modules for each client RT  (basically the same licenses as for the server)?
    You are right for the server and standby. For the clients you don't need the same licenses, but you will have a limited functionality if you use different licenses.

For instance: Archives/Historian
    If the server has a license for Historian but the client has not, it is possible to open the archives on the client but you can not edit them.
    If you start the client as standalone - without connection to the server - you can not even open the archives.

you can find more of that in the manual->licensing

What are the actual differences between Server and Client runtime other than a setting in the development environment?
    I do not fully understand the question but try to answer anyway: you use the same project with the same settings for client and server. If the project is started on a PC and the name of the PC does not match the setting for server or standby, the runtime assumes automatically that it must be a client. You do not need to change the settings in the development environment.

I know that server stores and handles the data and client display this data via the server, but imagine this scenario; I have a server and a client computer and I want to use Report Generator functionality (licensed module) - this means that I would need two licenses with report generator module. One installed on the server and one on the client. The licenses would be exactly the same, same tag number, same included modules... the only thing that would differentiate between the two computers is not the actual license, but only the setting that is set in the development environment.
    You can also display the data and/or reports on the server.
    If you use the Report Generator module on server and client, you need licenses for both PCs. That's legit. 

The receipe is quite simple:
    If you need 1 PC: use a standalone project (deactivate network)
    If you need 2 PCs: use the zenon network (activate network, enter both PCs at server and standby. the weaker PC should be the server, the stronger one the standby)
    If you need 3 or more PCs : use the zenon network. start the same runtime project on other PCs in the same network.

do it your way 
    c.f.