Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Maximum numerical value for REAL

Default Maximum numerical value for REAL

Hello,

I am having a problem displaying a REAL variable number that exceeds the number 1000. 
    I have tried creating my own datatype basing on REAL and changing the ranges but the problem still persists. Also tried changing up the PLC range value defaults but so far without any luck.

Does anyone has ideas how to solve this or what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks!

Ed

Best Answer

Default Re: Maximum numerical value for REAL

Please describe what settings in Editor your private data type and variables have. And what you see in the Runtime when PLC deliver values >1000?

In my projects, when PLC delivers large values, i'm rather changing the Unit of variable (e.g. from [V] to [kV]) - short numbers, even with fractions, are easier to read for humans. For this you may use Units or linear adjustment.

If you don't want to scale values then on screenshot you can see my variables linked with private data types basing on REAL. In my case it makes the range smaller (allows only positive values 0..100) and adds 2 decimal places, but the principle is the same by enlarging the range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails myREAL_examples.png  

Default Re: Maximum numerical value for REAL

Concerning the idea of changing units - I already tryed experimenting with that, but in this particular application that wouldn't be the best way of dealing with it because the system counts boxes and the numbers are basically anywhere between 0-10000 (hardly considerable as big numbers).

As for the settings - I checked trough 'em one more time and the problem was in the value ranges. Somehow I had missed a zero at one of the parameters that made the variable to be displayed as "1000**" in runtime. So after making all the ranges equal (0-10000) everything seems to be working fine. 

One thing that confused me though was the fact that the SV limits static of the numerical variable box kept changing up pretty randomly when the value ranges of variable/datatype was changed. For example it had changed min. value 5000 and max 10000 instead of 0-10000. It's not a major issue but would love if you could explain the cause of this?