Showing results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Alarm history and CEL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scotttee Gast

Default Alarm history and CEL

I can't get past alarms to show up in the CEL. I think I've got my alarm variables configured to get logged to the CEL and I have a screen setup as a CEL, but nothing appears in the CEL when I open it. What am I missing?

thanks.

Default AW: Alarm history and CEL

Hello scotttee,

if you want to show the alrams in the CEL, you have to enable the checkbox "In Chronologic Event List" in the settings of the limit of a variable.

At next, please check the saving settings of the CEL. You can find them at the global settings of the project in the entry Chronologic Event List.

Following saving methods are available, if the CEL ist active:

Only ringbuffer: Only a defined number of CEL entries (cel.bin) is saved. The number is defined under 'Size of the ringbuffer'.
    Ringbuffer and hist. data: All CEL entries (*.cel) are saved.
    Default: On CE devices only the ringbuffer (cel.bin) is saved; on PCs also the historic entries (*.cel) are saved.

The files (cel.bin and *.cel) are saved in the directory \project directory\computer name\project name.

At next please check the filter settings of the CEL in the Runtime.
    You can set the shown entries to:
    -- Entries from Memory
    -- Entries from file

If you want to show all past or historic alarms, use "Entries from file".

Best regards,
    BernhardKo

Default Re: Alarm history and CEL

there also is a global option in the project properties for the Chronologic event list (CEL) "acknowledge alarms in CEL" which writes a CEL entry when an alarm is acknowledged.

One thing which I want to add:
    the CEL is normaly designed collecting system events (all process and system events as well as user inputs can be logged in the Chronologic Event List (CEL))

check out the help documenatation at "Manual -> Chronologic Event List (CEL)":
    -> In the Chronologic Event List interventions in the process like setting values, acknowledging, changing recipes or archives as well as network and user messages are logged.

in comparison to the CEL the AML is designed to handle the alarms.
    see help documenation at "Manual -> Alarm Information List (AIL)"

But as Bernhard mentioned it is also possible to pass the alarms to the CEL ("all in one" solution).

Regards,
    Herbert

scotttee Gast

Default Re: AW: Alarm history and CEL

bernhardko,
    I cannot find where to set "Entries from file."

-Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by bernhardko View Post
    Hello scotttee,

if you want to show the alrams in the CEL, you have to enable the checkbox "In Chronologic Event List" in the settings of the limit of a variable.

At next, please check the saving settings of the CEL. You can find them at the global settings of the project in the entry Chronologic Event List.

Following saving methods are available, if the CEL ist active:

Only ringbuffer: Only a defined number of CEL entries (cel.bin) is saved. The number is defined under 'Size of the ringbuffer'.
    Ringbuffer and hist. data: All CEL entries (*.cel) are saved.
    Default: On CE devices only the ringbuffer (cel.bin) is saved; on PCs also the historic entries (*.cel) are saved.

The files (cel.bin and *.cel) are saved in the directory \project directory\computer name\project name.

At next please check the filter settings of the CEL in the Runtime.
    You can set the shown entries to:
    -- Entries from Memory
    -- Entries from file

If you want to show all past or historic alarms, use "Entries from file".

Best regards,
    BernhardKo

scotttee Gast

Currently I'm developing an application for the CE platform. (I'll be starting one for the PC very soon.) I can get the CEL to show up on the PC when I start the runtime, but not on the CE device. Why?

which zenon version and servicepack are you exactly using?

Alarm and CEL history were not always available on Windows CE. The reason for this was to reduce the amount of write operations to the flash memory to a minimum. On the one side to improve the lifetime of the flash memory, on the other side to improve performance on Winows CE.

zenon for Windows CE has been developed since Windows CE 2.10. In the beginning, lifetime expectance of flash memory was much lower and could only hold "few" write operations. Also the performance of writing data to the flash memory on a CE terminal, could not be compared to writing data on a PC to a harddrive.

As technology evolved, newer techniques become available for flash memory, improving speed and lifetime expectations. These techniques involve e.g. smart controllers built in Compact-Flash cards, spreading write operations over physical cells to get a most balanced load of all cells, and large "spare-cells" areas to replace a defective cell, should one cell get damaged.

Alarm and CEL is just one example. Throughout the whole zenon runtime for Windows CE, writing operations were optimized and reduced to a minimum.

With 6.22, Alarm and CEL history is available also for Windows CE.

However, one thing which has been forgotten, is to enable the option "from file" in the picture switch function to the AML and CEL Picture, when the option "Windows CE project" is active.

For you to be able to set this option, please uncheck the option "Windows CE project", then configure your picture switch function, and activate the option again for your convenience.

This option "Windows CE project" only limits the functionality the user can configure in the editor, in order to create Windows CE compliant projects. In this case, it limits too much and does not offer the options for the CEL and Alarm history.

Care has still to be taken however, when using Alarm and CEL history on Windows CE.

I would suggest creating a "file operation" function, which deletes historical CEL and Alarm files, older than e.g. 6 Months (depending on your project) to avoid filling up the storage medium.

With the system driver variables for "HW Resources" you can monitor your free disk space on the storage medium of the CE terminal, and e.g. create an alarm when it's low or automatically delete files older than a specific date.

Some things can slow down the runtime on a Windows CE device a lot. E.g. activating the option "write ringbuffer spontaneously", under specific circumstances. This will immediately write the CEL file or Alarm file, when a new entry is added.

If there e.g. is an alarmflood, each entry is written spontaneously, possibly slowing down the device.

Or if e.g. logging for setting values is activated, and a universal slider is used with the option "set vaue during mouse move". This will send continuously values to the PLC and also log in the CEL. If it is spontaneously written, this will also be logged continously.

I hope this helps to get a better understanding of why this option (is) was not available. In a future version, the option for historical alarms and CEL at the picture switch function should also be available when "Windows CE Project" is active.

scotttee Gast

I'm using 6.22 SP0. The runtime that is installed on the CE device is 6.20 SP4.