Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: IEC61850: connection lost but varaibles non updated

Default IEC61850: connection lost but varaibles non updated

Hi,
    i have a big problem in zenon, in particular in IEC61850 client driver.
    Driver has 20 connections to different RTUs.
    Problem appears when I turn off RTU. I will aspect that driver has INVALID status for each variables of that RTU, instead Zenon reads the last value and variables are not updated with INVALID status until a Zenon restart.
    Only after a Zenon restart, variables have INVALID status.

This problem doesn't appear on each RTUs, only on some of them.

Herewith attached some print screen of driver configuration.

driver_Aggiornato.png containts connection configuration to variables correctly read and updated.

driver_NonAggiornato.png containts connection configuration to variables that are NO correctly read and updated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails driver_generale.png   driver_connection.png   driver_setting.png   driver_nonAggiornato.png   driver_Aggiornato.png  

Steven Costantini

Default Re: IEC61850: connection lost but varaibles non updated

In my tests the driver sets INVALID to all variables of broken connection, always
    This is a general rule for all zenon drivers.

Actually this kind of problems is rather a case for official Support - where you send project backup and LOGs and Wireshark sniff; not for Forum with few screenshots from driver settings - too less info.

From these screenshots i can only give you same general hints:
    1. update to 7.50 and use in driver new setting 'automatic watchdog' or make sure that in your project - for each RTU - at least one variable is polled, not reported; and is advised all the time (e.g. has setting 'permanently read'). Without polling it is impossible for a 850-client to detect connection losses fast and reliable.

2. do not set 'polling rate' shorter as default 1s if you are not 100% sure that the RTU is fast responding and delivers almost all data via reports. Maybe you are overflowing RTU or driver with polling requests.

3. As i see you still uses 'auto URCB' (setting for "fast start" in use of the driver) and not 'RCB assignment' - settings for final systems. Take you the time to complete RCB configuration. Especially by many connections and data it is important to have well planned and working reporting.

4. for final RCB configuration - do not use TrgOps 'data change' and 'data update' together. And left trgOp 'Integrity' for only one, smallest, report.

5. Make sure that you have no doubles of variables with the same addressing (same RTU - net address, and same reference - LD/LN/DO/DA[FC]). Until 7.60 driver supports only one.
    And for the future - use rather addressing via 'Symbolic Address', not via 'Variable name' (then you may a day rename variables for user-friendly labels).

Hi,
    i used *!LD0/LLN0/Mod/stVal[ST] to understand if there is or not connection to RTU.
    I have two variables:
    1) ALJ101!LD0/LLN0/Mod/stVal[ST]
    2) SC!LD0/LLN0/Mod/stVal[ST]

First variable (1) is corrctly updated when i turn off RTU (becomes INVALID)
    Second variable (2) is not correctly updated (doesn't become INVALID, only after Zenon restart).
    It seems second variable is spontaneous while the first one is in polling configuration.

Someone could help me please?
    Steven Costantini

I found this post which is similar to mine http://forum.copadata.com/showthread.php?t=1815

I want to deactivate Report Managing in Zenon, is it possible to do it?
    Steven Costantini

If you updated your project according at least points 1-2 i've proposed (have you?) and it haven't helped then - contact your local COPA-DATA Support.

To the Support send the project backup and LOG files created after in DiagViewer you configured for IEC850 driver(s) to log all levels from all driver modules.

Diagnosis Viewer is installed together with zenon and is interface to logging service - zenLogSrv - running all the time and storing LOG-files all the time. The LOG-files are per default in C:\ProgramData\COPA-DATA\LOG and now they contains probably only error-level entries. If you open a LOG file in DiagViewer maybe you will see in column 'general text' or 'error text' some hints. For supports you should configure to log all levels before you try to reproduce the problem again.
    In DiagViewer - the IEC850 driver is one of logging clients: Settings - client configuration. DiagViewer can be closed - log-files are stored by zenLogSrv according current settings also while DiagViewer is closed.

>I want to deactivate Report Managing in Zenon, is it possible to do it?

What you mean with "Report Managing"? Because if you mean to NOT use Reporting (neither URCB nor BRCB) in IEC850 communication - this would be rather contra-productive.
    In referred thread the solution was to USE reporting with TrgOps configured to only these which are supported by RTU - see points 3-4 in my first response on your post.

I have one more suspicion: the iec850 driver may be blocked - on MMS - by outstanding, not responded Request PDUs. This may happen under specific conditions:
    - if IED is slow reacting,
    - and in MMS.Initiate-ResponsePDU from IED the negociatedMaxServOutstandingCalling/called are smaller as the quantity of MMS.confirmed-RequestPDUs needed to poll the data (so use as much reporting as possible )
    - and the connection loss, or IED hang, happens after MMS Request - the IED has answered TCP.ACK but not MMS.confirmed-ResponsePDU yet; no tcp FIN nor RES.

The IEC61850 on MMS protocol does not allow to send any MMS request while all are outstanding; and any other frame would be illegal (so may result in undefined behavior of IED). In such situation the connection loss will be detected only if your OS (Windows) takes care to send TCP Keep Alive (or Windows will detect the loss of tcp host on other ways). The iec850 driver is opening the tcp socket in the way the OS shall use Keep Alive, but the driver has unfortunately no influence on the period.

This situation can be seen in Wireshark - filter "tcp.port == 102". Last frame is TCP.ACK, then a gap.

Unfortunately, by default, Windows is using TCP Keep-Alive period 2 hours(!).
    Please consider to add in registry (via regedit) the entry to set KeepAliveTime e.g. 30s. Note: this is general setting affecting all TCP/IP sockets, not only IEC 61850 communication; do not set too short .
    in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters
    KeepAliveTime
    REG_DWORD 0x7530 (30 000 ms)
    official description: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc957549.aspx

Also when you cannot make your Windows smarter, you still do not need to restart Runtime - use zenon functions to stop and start driver. This forces Abort and (re)Association (the legal alternative to tcp keep alive).
    You may create a limit with delay by some variable you know that it should change constantly (e.g. some analog value - MX, or maybe its timestamp - */t[MX]). If value does not change for 300s(?) the limit can call the script with these two functions.