Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Copy variable value to another in a script

Default Copy variable value to another in a script

I see I can copy variable values from source to target in the Allocations area, but I wish to do it in a script.
    I press a button, a function runs a script and that script should copy a variable (username) into a target variable (who closed the batch).

There doesn't seem to be a "Write value" variant that takes data from another variable.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Copy variable value to another in a script

In Allocations you may configure trigger variable and in script - call 'write set value' functions toggling the trigger.

Or you may define in Recipe Group Manager a recipe linking (coping) the value from one variable to another and in script - call the function executing this recipe.

I don't see that anybody should spend money on Recipe Group Manager to copy values. This is an intrinsic function of every CPU ever built.

What is the priority of an allocation? Will it interrupt my script to perform the copy? If not, how can I determine when the allocation has completed?
    How much do I need to spend to compare two numbers?

RGM is rich in useful features and many customers decided to buy the license. The main purpose is for sure not the copying of variable values. I do not know if you have or not the RGM license, I'm giving general answer (imagine you had RGM and no one has informed you that it contains this solution). And I has informed you about possibility in RGM on the second place. No reason for emotional reactions. Maybe a day some customer having RGM will search on Forum for similar advice.

The time needed to execute an allocation depends on driver of involved variables. I suppose your source variable - username - is SYSDRV variable - so in driver accessing memory of your PC - nano(?)seconds. If for target variable you are using Intern driver then to write the value from allocation the Intern driver will also only access the PC's memory.

The trigger variable i suppose wiil be internal too, but not set by allocation - set by zenon function 'write set value' created by you. Thus the only eventual delay could be caused by you - if you activate in this function the checkbox 'wait for writing confirmation'. For variables of Intern driver it forces fix wait 30 seconds. Function configured in that way will delay execution of any next function in your script.

The functions in zenon runtime are executed according to 3 priority levels, documented in Help: Manual -> Functions and scripts -> Functions -> Execution sequence during Runtime.

What numbers you want to compare? and what for?

How did you guess I'm not in charge of deciding whether my company uses Zenon or not?

No, i didn't make such assumption.
    Why you think i did?

Because copying values in an intrinsic function of all processors ever made and COPA DATA have managed to make it super complicated, just like they managed to make bitwise access of bytes insanely complicated.

Your attitude is that we should be happy and grateful to implement convoluted workarounds to Zenons short comings.

Well I'm not, I'm furious every single time it takes me hours to achieve and test things that should take seconds.
    I'm not learning anything new, or better. I'm just grinding.
    You want me to smile while I try to figure out a way to copy a variable value?
    Here's the smile

It's completely honest.

And in case anybody is wondering how they might copy a variable value within a script.

The way I have done it is to set a BOOL using Write Value function.
    That BOOL is used in allocations as an Edge type trigger to copy Source to Destination.

When the script is executed, the Write Value occurs and the allocation trigger is then executed, before the next step in the script is executed.

When the next script step is executed, the destination will contain the source, so you can now overwrite the source without any problems.
    Having said that, all the variables I have been using are Internal types, not PLC types, so I extend my heartiest wishes of luck if you're copying to a PLC type variable.

There, now you don't have to run a series of tests to work out if that's the order or not, because I already did it. But let's face it, you'll be on a different Zenon version and it will probably be different for no particular reason. If you're really lucky, there may even be a variable value copy function/option in the future and none of this convoluted nonsense will be even necessary.