Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: integrste Workspace and Project source files in version control

Default integrste Workspace and Project source files in version control

Hi all,

has anyone integrated their zenon project with version control (subversion or git)?

I created a new workspace and project, looked in the folder : there are no source files, only RT files. Are the workspace and project source files accessible and where are they saved? Do I need to change my settings in order to specify a source file save location?

thanks in advance,
    François

working with 7.50 SP0

Default Re: integrste Workspace and Project source files in version control

Hi Francois,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

Project sources for the zenon editor are stored partly in binary files on the disk and partly in a SQL database. The editor then "compiles" runtime files. From a versioning point of view, single files or single tables in the database should not be stored as dependencies can cause inconsistencies when e.g. only a single file would be restored to an earlier version.

When you want to integrate project sources for the zenon editor in a versioning system, it is best to do this on a basis of either project backups or workspace backups. This way a consistent set of data is always stored.

You could also combine this with the versioning in zenon. When you activate version tracking in zenon you can also enable XML export. Every time a project backup is created, an XML export of all modules is executed. Maintaining the project backups plus the XML files also allows viewing visual differences of the XML files.

In addition to version tracking for the project, you can also activate the change history in the zenon editor. This allows you to view a diff based on the change history between two project backups.

The change history itself is part of the project and also included in the project backup.

I hope this gives you some pointers to get you started.

Best regards,
    Mark

Default Re: integrste Workspace and Project source files in version control

Thanks for the Quick Reply Mark,

I'll look into it