Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Connection to IED

Default Connection to IED

Hi,
    I am rather new to using Zenon so I don't have an advanced question. I wanted to control a breaker (open or close it) by using zenon and establishing a connection to the IED that is available in the lab. I have assigned CSWI [ST] to the breaker symbol and use it activated the set value in numeric value. Then I made two buttons: ON and OFF. And assigned CSWI [CO] to the buttons. To make a connection between the buttons and the breaker, I had to make a reaction matrix for on and off states and assign to the CSWI[ST] variable. The variable from the IEC is the LEDGGIO logical node so the idea is to see if the LED on the IED gets turned on or off by pressing the buttons in the Zenon runtime. So far, I haven't been successful and since I am new to this tool, I wanted to seek help here and hope someone can provide it. Thanks

Default Re: Connection to IED

>I have assigned CSWI [ST] to the breaker symbol
    Do you mean *CSWI/Pos/stVal[ST] ?
    The *Pos/stVal[ST] data attribute represents the position of circuit breaker – open (0) / closed (1), so it is the best choice for breaker symbol.

> and use it activated the set value in numeric value.

I’m not sure what you mean, please explain it more detailed.

Note: in IEC61850 Protocol the [ST] attributes are ‘read-only’. The position of circuit breaker can be changed when you set value to variable *CSWI/Pos/Oper.ctlVal[CO]. The IED will not react when you try to set value directly to *stVal[ST].

>Then I made two buttons: ON and OFF. And assigned CSWI [CO] to the buttons.
    You can link with buttons two (new created) zenon functions ‘write set value’ – both linked with*CSWI/Pos/Oper.ctlVal[CO] variable; functions with option ‘directly to HW’ and value 1 for ON and 0 for OFF.

Depending on the value of *stVal[ST] you can change visibility or color or block with interlocking button ON when stVal[ST] is already 1 and button OFF when is 0. Take look on properties for dynamical colors of button and visibility or look in Help for Interlocking.

>To make a connection between the buttons and the breaker, I had to make a reaction matrix for on and off states and assign to the CSWI[ST] variable.
    To be honest I cannot follow you . The reaction matrix you can use for text element or to produce CEL/AML entries, but not for text on a button.
    Instead 2 buttons you can eventually use one combined-element with activated option ‘3D’ – which then looks and behaves similar to button. The combi-element can be linked with */Oper.cltVal[CO] (to set value) and in addition - in formulas - use *stVal[ST] variable to display text ON/OFF.

>The variable from the IEC is the LEDGGIO logical node so the idea is to see if the LED on the IED gets turned on or off by pressing the buttons in the Zenon runtime.
    When the IEDs changes in addition to *CSWI/Pos/stVal[ST] or in reaction on *CSWI/Pos/Oper.ctlVal[CO] some data attributes value in another Logical Node, e.g. some *LEDGGIO/SPC*/stVal[ST] - then you can use this additional variable also for dynamical color/visibility or interlocking of buttons.

Thank you for the tips and sorry for the messy writing. Like I said, I am quite new and haven't figured out the way Zenon works really well. I now understand that the reaction matrix was not the right way to interconnect the buttons with the combined element.
    The idea is that the combined element (a breaker for example) is controlled by two buttons to be turned on or off. The logical node is related to LEDGGIO/SPCSO* so with turning on or off the breaker, the LED on the IED is essentially turned on or off. I have created "write set value" functions for SPCSO/oper.ctlVal[CO] variable for both states "on" and "off". I have assigned these functions to the two "on" and "off" buttons that I made before.
    So, now the variable "LEDGGIO/SPCSO/stVal[ST] is assigned to the breaker so that it can be toggled on or off and show the status. The breaker is set up to work as a switch and I have also activated the switch in the binary value property for the breaker. As I said before, the on and off functions that were defined for the variable LEDGGIO/SPCSP/ctlVal[CO] are assigned to the buttons.
    My questions is: how do I make the connection between the buttons and the breaker (combined element)? Before I used reaction matrix but like you said that's just for text elements.
    Should I use interlocking and how? I tried working with interlocking but wasn't successful. I created two interlocking conditions with the variable SPCSO/stVal[ST] for value bits ''00'' and ''01'' and interlocked the on and off buttons to the conditions respectively. However, I couldn't open or close the breaker on either simulation or hardware mode (I mean with connection to the IED). I hope I have expressed the problem more accurately this time. Sorry again for the trivial questions. I appreciate the help. Thanks

Is it actually clear for you that this what you are now doing manually (and probably as next for many circuit breakers) is the part of functionality of the zenon module Command input?
    To use Command input you need license, but it would save your work and make results more reliable. In Command input using wildcards you can use one definition (how commands are acting on IED and how it looks for the user) for all */stVal[ST] and */Oper.ctlVal[CO] couples in IED. And of course there is already 'nominal/current value comparison' protecting to send commands with the state the breaker already has. And much more.

The use of interlocking for buttons ON/OFF you can see on screenshot. With such configuration in the RT only one button reacts on click. In addition i would recommend you to set: project - graphical design - Interlocked buttons = gray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interlocking.PNG