Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Text padding in screen elements feature request

Default Text padding in screen elements feature request

Hello, support team!

I want to talk about such needed thing in creating a good user experience as text padding.

Now if we use, for example, dynamic text with horizontal text alignment left or right then there is no distance (may be 1 pixel distance) between text and element border.

It leads to very untidy looking interface, so we are forced to use additional rectangle element in background of dynamic text to have some (3-5 pixels) padding.

Are you planning to add some padding text propeties to such screen elements in future versions (or may be already added) or may be there is some else workarounds?

josefm Gast

Default Re: Text padding in screen elements feature request

Hi,

as far as I understand it, you want to have an element like in the first screenshot (text_and_rectangle.PNG).

The workaround that I can imagine (text_and_border.PNG) now is the following:
    • place the text element
    • open the effects in the properties of the element (text_property_settings.PNG)
    • configure the border
    • distance = 0
    • line width = "padding" you wanna have for this element

This should be working out if I got the true requirements.

Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails text_and_border.PNG   text_and_rectangle.PNG   text_property_settings.PNG  

Thanks, josefm, you understand right what I want.

Method you suppose is applyable in general but of course hase many restrictions -
    1) I cannot set alternative color border for my text box with padding this way
    2) grid and magic points positioning are shifted by width of border.

josefm Gast

Hi,

with the second solution, using the border of the element as "padding" the magic points are still bound to the element itself and the color also can be set alternative to the elements color.

So is there still any issue now?

Best regards

Josefm,

It was no issue in my topic, it was feature request ). Problem has workarounds but they all are not such easy as should be.

Suppose we have two buttons and want to have textbox with gray background and 1pix black border and 10pix padding (see attachement).
    How can I align this textbox according buttons? With your solution i should only use additional screen element for border and cannot use any alligment toolbar buttons or magic points - they all give me only shifted result - I can use only pixel-by-pixel manual adjustement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails align.png  

josefm Gast

okay, I think I'm still getting it wrong, I cannot follow your description.

To "align" the textbox element according to the buttons you could create a "embedded symbol" and then use the horizontal alignment and the vertical alignment buttons from the alignment toolbar. (See screenshot)

But I think this is not what you want. A "margin" or "padding" won't be configurable I think at all.

Best regards,

Idee Re: Text padding in screen elements feature request

I would add that it would be nice to have individual padding settings for each edge of the rectangular element.
    For some tight interfaces I would not want vertical paddings while the ones from left/right sides would be nice to have, othervise the text in these elements will touch the borders.
    Kind regards,
    Sergiy