Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: WinCE graphic

Default WinCE graphic

Hi,
    I can not see any combined element (graphic JPG file) on WinCE runtime.
    Now I am totally confused. On PC runtime, I can see all elements.
    Combined element-graphic file do not use any special effect.

This is my first zenon project, so please advise me:
    -General option: „Windows CE project“ should be activated on PC, or not?
    In my project this option is activated on WinCE touch panel, and it is deactivated on PC. Is this correct, or it should be active on PC and WinCE?

Regards.

Default Re: WinCE graphic

Hi Tihomir,

The option "Windows CE project" helps a user create a project in the editor by disabling or hiding certain features that are not available on Windows CE. This option only has an influence on the editor and has no effect on the runtime.

It is adivsable to activate the option when you are creating a CE project only.

As for the .jpg Images on combined elements not appearing, this may be caused by a driver communication issue on the CE device. Have you tried setting the driver to "simulation static" to see if it also occurs in that case?

Also when using very large jpg files with a high resolution and large color depth, the CE device may not have sufficient memory to display the graphics. (the CE device needs to convert the .jpg Image in memory to a .bmp in order to draw it, which results in a much larger graphic than the actual .jpg file size)

Best regards,
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    thanks for prompt reply.

I have the same project on 2 devices, on PC and on WinCE touch panel.
    If I understood you well, I need to activate option "Windows CE project", if I want to be sure that all features and funcionalities of my project will be operational on WinCE panel too?

JPG has only 5 KB.
    I have 2 driver installed (SIMUL and S7 TCP-IP). Maybe SIMUL driver cause the problem?
    Should I delete it?
    Now I am away from WinCE panel so I will test it later.

Best regards.

Hi Tihomir,

Quote Originally Posted by tihomir View Post

I have the same project on 2 devices, on PC and on WinCE touch panel.
    If I understood you well, I need to activate option "Windows CE project", if I want to be sure that all features and funcionalities of my project will be operational on WinCE panel too?
    It is just like an assistant that helps you create your project in a way that you don't use features are not supported on Windows CE.

In regard to the combi element, the jpg size should not be a Problem then. If you are not using the simul driver in your project, I would remove it, however it probably would not solve this issue.

When you set the S7 driver to "Simulation static" and then the graphics appear, you may want to look into a possible communication issue.

It could also be that the variables are not available, because you exceed the number of tags that are licensed in your Windows CE license, however you should normally get a message when starting the runtime.

Best regards,
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    thanks for clear instructions.

I will try with simulation static, and let you know what happend...
    Number of licesed tags is ok.

One more thing bother me.
    PC is server and panel is standby server.
    My first intend was to have same project on PC (resolution 1920x1080) and touch panel (res. 800x600), but then I noticed, when I use General option- "Windows CE project", that elements look poor on PC (leaving option "WinCE project" deactivated they look pretty good).
    Now I am thinking to have 2 projects on those 2 devices.
    May I have 2 different projects (same variables, different screen options) on server and standby server?

Regards.

Hi Tihomir,

One important thing needs to be considered here.

Redundancy is not supported in combination with a Windows CE device. A CE device can be a standalone runtime, a Client or a Server runtime, but not a standby Server.

The special option "standby Server as data server" should only be used in very specific circumstances.

The graphical options available on Windows CE are limited due to a reduced API in the operating system and lack of support for e.g. GDI+ or DirectX. When you activate the "Windows CE Project" option, some graphical enhancements are disabled in the project, and that is why the project also looks differently in the runtime on the PC.

You have a number of Options.

- leave the CE Project active option disabled. Graphic enhancements that are displayed on the PC may appear differently on the CE device, some elements may not be shown on the CE device.

- Create separate screens in the same Project, where advanced Screens are used on the PC, and simpler Screens are used on the CE device

- Create a multi-hierarchical Project structure, with an Integration Project and a Sub Project. On the CE device you start only the sub-Project (the zenon runtime on Windows CE supports only one Project), and on the PC you start the Integration Project.

For more Information on Engineering a Project for Windows CE, the limitations of the runtime on Windows CE, and the conditions for using zenon CE devices in the Network, please also see the online help!

When you find the current limitations too restrictive for your Project, you could also consider changing the device to Windows Embedded Standard (Windows XP Embedded). Depending on the CE device, you may be able to use the same Hardware, just with a different operating System.

Best regards,
    Mark

Thank you very much Mark.

Your tips are very useful.
    Elements that ar not look good on my PC are mostly from Symbol Library. So I decided to have one Symbol Library for PC and another for WinCE. All other screens I will do with "WinCE Project"- option activated.Only have to import proper library for specific device.
    Regarding standby server, I have missed that info in manual. Thanks for tip.
    I will configure WinCE as client.

Thank you for support.
    Best regards.

Hi Mark,
    one more thing...

PC has 1920x1080 resolution (ratio 16:9) and WinCE 800x600 (ratio 4:3).
    Is there any sense to have same project on 2 devices with different ratio?

What do you suggest?

Regards.

Hi Tihomir,

That's a bit of a tricky one.

zenon uses vector elements, which allows scaling of the elements without loss of quality.

However when scaling to different proportions, this will result in distortion of the elements. A circle will become an ellipse, a square will become a rectangle.

When you don't use perfect squares and perfect circles in your screens, the effect of the scaling on the proportions of the elements may not be as visible, or may not be too disturbing.

If however this is the case and the change in proportions is not acceptable, you do have other options, which unfortunately, also come with some compromises.

You could set the screen resolution for the project to "800x600", and disable the option to adjust to the screen resolution. No scaling will be required on the CE device. However on the PC the proect will also be shown in 800x600 in the top left corner of the screen.

Alternatively, at the screen properties, there is a property "do not adjust elements to screen resolution" which you could try to see if this fits your expectations better.

Best regards,
    Mark