Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How check which symbol from project library is not used in project

Default How check which symbol from project library is not used in project

Hi all,
    I need to check how many symbols from my project library are not used in my project and remove them.
    The problem is that symbols in my library contain another symbols from my project library. How to check if symbol from library doesn't contain another symbol from library.
    Is it possible some how?
    Br
    Ł.

Default Re: How check which symbol from project library is not used in project

Hi Ł.

That certainly is a good question.

The cross reference list is able to show which linked symbols from the library are used in screens, however it does not show which linked symbols are used in other linked symbols in the library.

Also, there are no Limits to the Level of linked symbols. A Symbol in the library can contain another linked symbol from the library, which itself consists of other linked symbols from the library which again contain linked symbols from the library, and so on...

I can think of two ways that are not ideal, but may still be helpful.

- > XML Export of symbols from the Project library
    In the XML file itself, check for each symbol if one of the Elements_<> nodes has a type "130". If that is the case, this symbol has a linked symbol insdie. Via the field "LinkName" you can find which linked symbol it Points to. -> The XML file does not tell anything about what is inside the linked symbol that it points to.

-> embedd symbols in a test screen, and resolve the symbol
    After inserting the symbol embedded in a test screen, and resolving the symbol, you can do a visual check if there are any elements that still show an arrow symbol, indicating a linked symbol. This method may not be 100% waterproof, as elements may be stacked or hidden beneath other elements.

However for the last method, you may also be able to create a small wizard that goes through all embedded symbols in the screen and checks if any element inside is a linked symbol.

I hope this is of some help at least

Best regards,
    Mark

Default Re: How check which symbol from project library is not used in project

Thank you for hints.
    I will share the solution when I will have it available.
    Br
    Łukasz