Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: connected clients diagnostic

Default connected clients diagnostic

Hello,

I have a multi-hierarchical project where the main project is the server and the children projects are the clients.
    I want to monitor the connection status of the clients.

I tried to use the variables of the SYSDRV "Names of connected clients" and "Number of connected clients" in the main project but they don't change when the clients are online (names = "" and number = 0).

Any suggestions?

Thank's!

Default Re: connected clients diagnostic

Hello,
    there seems to be a missunderstanding!

One zenon project can not be the client of another zenon project.

I strongly advise to consult the Online Help (F1), check out the section Manual -> Network -> Setting up the zenon network.
    There you find the description and also the different models explained!

Basically: if you have one zenon project, with the project settings "Server" and "Standby Server" you define on which PCs (PC name) this project runs as "Server" respectivley "Standby Server". On all other PCs this zenon project is started it runs automatically as zenon client to this project. This zenon client automatically tries to connect to the PC where this zenon project runs as server!

I assume that the mentioned clients are in fact single projects(see Server & Standby settings) with no connection to what is called the main project.

The zenon network is a very powerful but also a very easy and handy feature, make sure you understand the concept behind in order to get out most of it!
    Last edited by wolfgangm : 18th September 2012 at 14:57

Hello,

thank you for the answer. There has definitely been a misunderstanding, maybe due to the not rigorous terminology I used.

What I meant is that the computer (basically a touch panel) to which the child project has been assigned has a role of client.
    The pc, which has been choosen for the parent project to run, acts as a server to Runtime.
    The attached screenshot should clarify the configuration used, which has been relized by following the instructions found in the help.

Back to the core of my question, which was about the SYSDRV variables "Names of connected clients" and "Number of connected clients": can those variables be used in this situation?

If not, what is a typical situation in which it applies?
    In other words, is there any way to dignose if a client is connected to the server?

Regards,
    Fabio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prj.png  

Hi,

You have your TECFB1 PC that is server for the integration project TCT and all four sub projects. Your four CE devices are each client of one of the sub project. (and of the sub project only)

The system driver variables for the network, are project specific. This means that e.g. the variable "names of connected clients" in the TCT project is empty (there is no client that starts and connects to the TCT project (in fact a Windows CE client is limited to one project only).

So in order to evaluate the connected clients (wether all CE devices are running) create the system driver variable "names of connected clients" or "number of connected clients" in each of the sub projects, and either display or evaluate these variable values in the integration project

I hope this clearifies things!

Regards,
    Mark

Daumen hoch Re: connected clients diagnostic

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for your answer! It works!

But I have to say I am a bit confused about the roles of the PCs:

- How does your sentence "Your four CE devices are each client of one of the sub project. (and of the sub project only)"
    fit with the one of the help according which in a multi-hierarchical model "the single computers are servers for their projects" ?

- I understand that a pc acts as a client of TECFB1 if starts the same project (TCT), so the CE devices can't be client of TECFB1. But how does this fits with the fact that they actually depends from TECFB1 for the visualization of the variables? It is like they act as clients.

- Also this help page doesn't fit very much with my situation, since my project seems to go against the Rule 1 (TECFB1 has been defined as server on the TCT level and on the below levels TP1, TP2..). Clearly I misunderstood the real meaning of this rule.

Thank you again for the support!

Bye, Fabio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help1.png  

Hello,

In other words, is there any way to dignose if a client is connected to the server?
    Check out the Systemdriver Network variables "Server offline" or "Server stop" in the Online Help (F1) under Drivers->SYSDRV->Creating variables -> Topic-Network

Be aware of some system driver variables being marked as "local", means they have different meaning on each PC.

All other system driver variables show the same value no matter what role (server,standby,client) a PC is in concerning this project within the zenon network.

Hello,

it must always be seen from the view of each single project and what the "server" and "standby server" settings are with this project.

Knowing the computer name of a computer you then immediatley know what role the project running in the zenon runtime on this computer has.

I think this makes it much easier to understand, even in complex multi-hierarchical structures you never loose the overview that way.

Think about the roles always from the view of the zenon project and NOT from the view of the computer.
    Hope this helps to easier get through the structure!

Hi Wolfgang,

it seems we have ended up in a vicious circle, because of a matter of terminology.

If we look at the help pages, we assign a role of Server, Standby or Client to the computer, not to the project running on that computer (see attachement).

Also, if you talk of client/server role of projects insted of computers, you would eventually end up by saying that a zenon project can be client of another zenon project, contrary to what you said:
    One zenon project can not be the client of another zenon project.
    A too generic answer to a specific question doesn't always help and can lead to more confusion.
    Also a not complete understanding of the question (I asked how to diagnose the client connection from a server, not the contrary).

That said, I appreciate the help you give me.
    Bye
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help2.png  

Hello,

I am sorry if I brought confusion to this issue, my intention was only to ease the understanding. Especially this topic is in danger to confuse someone, now it seems I did.

Also, if you talk of client/server role of projects insted of computers, you would eventually end up by saying that a zenon project can be client of another zenon project, contrary to what you said: "One zenon project can not be the client of another zenon project. "
    To my defense I need to clear what you are try to say for me.
    When you start the same project on three pcs, this same project is running in different roles on different pcs. There is no connection in any role to another project.

Honestly, your question gave no information about where you tried to diagnose something.
    That is why I tried to point also to the possibillity of checking the connection on the client!

Hi,
    no, I didn't need to diagnostic the connection on the client, my goal was the monitoring of the clients (on the server), but this problem was already solved in the earlier posts.

Any suggestions about this matter instead?
    But I have to say I am a bit confused about the roles of the PCs:

- How does your sentence "Your four CE devices are each client of one of the sub project. (and of the sub project only)"
    fit with the one of the help according which in a multi-hierarchical model "the single computers are servers for their projects" ?

- I understand that a pc acts as a client of TECFB1 if starts the same project (TCT), so the CE devices can't be client of TECFB1. But how does this fits with the fact that they actually depends from TECFB1 for the visualization of the variables? It is like they act as clients.

- Also this help page doesn't fit very much with my situation, since my project seems to go against the Rule 1 (TECFB1 has been defined as server on the TCT level and on the below levels TP1, TP2..). Clearly I misunderstood the real meaning of this rule.