Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Bug report for <Beckhoff TwinCat NG driver>

Default Bug report for <Beckhoff TwinCat NG driver>

Hello,

Two bugs for this :

1. "Communication error for ZenOn Web Client when a Beckhoff PLC is turned off."
    When a remote Beckhoff PLC is turned off (or loss of connection Ethernet etc.), ZenOn Run-Time server seems OK. But a big trouble will be created at the ZenOn Web Client side : ALL communications will be lost with the blue point shown. Yes, I mean, not only the communication with this remote Beckhoff PLC, but all others communications (by driver 61850, driver SNMP etc.) will be lost. ZenOn Web Client will try to connect to the ZenOn Run-Time server without stop. It trys to receive the information of projects but never success.

2. "Communication error when the declaration position of a variable is changed in the PLC program, if we don't correct anything in ZenOn projects."
    When the declaration position of a variable is changed in the PLC program, (I mean, for example, it was declared as a local variable in a sub-function before, now it is declared as a global variable), this change will make trouble to the communication with this PLC if we don't correct anything in ZenOn projects.
    In this case, we lose the communication with this variable, that is normal; but we lose also the communication with all others variables without any change.

Best regards,
    Last edited by lephis : 23rd February 2012 at 09:35

Default Re: Bug report for <Beckhoff TwinCat NG driver>

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding 1): The communication between the server and the PLC is independent from the communication between server and clients. If you see blue squares on the client, this means the client has no network communication to the server, or the webserver to the server / webclient to the webserver in case of a webserver. Perhaps your webserver is running on the same PC as the TwinCAT runtime?

What I'm trying to say is, that if you get blue squares on the webclient, this is not a PLC issue, but a network connectivity issue to the webserver or from the webserver to the server. Also, the blue squares are not a bug, they are there to indicate the connection loss to the server

Regarding 2): I'm not a TwiCAT expert, but as far as I know, different areas (local, global, retain, ...) have different index groups. With the variable in zenon, this index group is saved and used for communication. When the driver tries to communicate the variable for which the index group was changed, this results in an error for this station (connection).

Are you sure that all other variables are not communicating? Or do all other variables only show the red square, indicating an issue with this connection but do get the updated values, and only the value for which the index group is invalid, is no longer updated. If the first is the case, you could contact your local support to see if this is a standard behaviour of the driver, or perhaps needs to be looked at.

Regards,
    Mark

1) I am talking about four hardwares :
    - PC1 : Web Client (without TwinCat system)
    - PC2 : Web Server (without TwinCat system)
    - PC3 : Runtime Server + TwinCat Manager configured
    - Beckhoff PLC

In the case of the Beckhoff PLC is turned off (or the loss of Ethernet),

Step1. PC3 and PC2 seem OK, PC1 shows blue squares everywhere!! all projects! Of course, before my Beckhoff PLC turned off, all these ZenOn systems work well.

Step2. If under PC3 (Runtime Server) we operate the [Driver Command -> Stop Driver] function for the Beckhoff NG Driver for this PLC, PC3 + PC2 + PC1 seem correct at once without any blue square.

That is why I insist there is a bug in your Beckhoff NG driver.

2) An example of four variables:
    - Global.V1
    - Global.V2
    - SubFun1.V3
    - SubFun2.V4

Step1: under Beckhoff PLC Control, we change the variable declaration of Global.V1 into SubFun1.V1. And we don’t make any change in ZenOn. In the Runtime, we will have not any updated value for all these four variables with red squares beside.

Step2: Just after the step1, if we only delete the Global.V1 in the variable list of ZenOn and restart the RunTime, all the V2, V3 and V4 will be updated correctly continuously without any red square.

So, as I said, it is a little bug of Beckhoff NG driver for error handling.

1) I am talking about four

Quote Originally Posted by markclemens View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding 1): The communication between the server and the PLC is independent from the communication between server and clients. If you see blue squares on the client, this means the client has no network communication to the server, or the webserver to the server / webclient to the webserver in case of a webserver. Perhaps your webserver is running on the same PC as the TwinCAT runtime?

What I'm trying to say is, that if you get blue squares on the webclient, this is not a PLC issue, but a network connectivity issue to the webserver or from the webserver to the server. Also, the blue squares are not a bug, they are there to indicate the connection loss to the server

Regarding 2): I'm not a TwiCAT expert, but as far as I know, different areas (local, global, retain, ...) have different index groups. With the variable in zenon, this index group is saved and used for communication. When the driver tries to communicate the variable for which the index group was changed, this results in an error for this station (connection).

Are you sure that all other variables are not communicating? Or do all other variables only show the red square, indicating an issue with this connection but do get the updated values, and only the value for which the index group is invalid, is no longer updated. If the first is the case, you could contact your local support to see if this is a standard behaviour of the driver, or perhaps needs to be looked at.

Regards,
    Mark

Hi,

Thanks or the more detailed explanation! Of course I can't rule out a possible issue in the driver regarding issue #1, however even with your further explanation it is still very unlikely for a communication loss between webserver and webclient or webserver and rutnime server, to be caused by something in the driver, unless turning off the PLC e.g. breaks the complete network communication on the server.

Still I recommend you to contact your local COPA-DATA support so they can help you analyze both these issues!

Regards,
    Mark

Default AW: Bug report for <Beckhoff TwinCat NG driver>

blue squares on the WebClient means that this has no connection to the RuntimeServer (through the WebServer). So if you can not ping the RuntimeServer from the WebClient via the name resp. no telnet session to port 1102 to the WebServer you will get blue squares.

if there would be no connection from the RuntimeServer via the driver to the PLC (connected via Twincat) there would be red squares.

Note: a WebClient (and also RuntimeClient) never establishes a direct connection to the PLC (it requets the PLC data over the Server resp. StandbyServer).

regards,
    Herbert