Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Different monitor resolutions on development and target machines

Default Different monitor resolutions on development and target machines

Hi All,

my development machine has 2 1680x1050 monitors, while target runtime system will be equiped with 2 1920x1080 monitors. Considering that aspect ratios are different, I'd like to do development with 1920x1080 resolution in order to have all screens displayed on a target machine in a best possible way. How to configure monitors in the Monitor administration to be able to display screens properly resized on both systems, using different runtime monitor profiles?

Default Re: Different monitor resolutions on development and target machines

You probably would want to start with setting the screen size for the project(s) to the designated target size or target aspect ratio, in the monitor administration, before you create any frames or screens.

You can create a monitor profile that has the option "adapt to screen resolution" disabled. For the profile on your development PC you can set the option "scrollbars", to have the same (larger) screensize, and no scaling to match the resolution and aspect ratio, as the runtime system.

please make sure, you enter the entries "RT_CXMAINFRAME" and "RT_CYMAINFRAME" in the zenon6.ini file, and consider the windows taskbar where necessary, in order to utilize both screens.

For more information, please also see the documentation on the monitor administration.

Thanks Mark. I have RT_CXMAINFRAME and RT_CYMAINFRAME already set to match resolution of my development machine (3359 x 1049 for 2 1680x1050 monitors). The problem is the following:
    a) if "Update monitor resolution" is checked in the development machine's monitor profile, runtime on development machine actually does not update the resolution, e.g only part of any picture is displayed on either monitor
    b) If "Update monitor resolution" is cleared and "Scrollbars" is checked, than I do have scrollbars in runtime and horizontal one spreads through both monitors, however it (hoizontal) does nothing
    c) Only if I create a profile with 1 monitor (left one for example), and set RT_CX... and RT_CY... accordingly, than pictures are scaled properly (with "Update ..." checked in the profile).

So, the bottom line is that I can't, or at least does not know how, use both monitors for runtime on the development machine. For previous projects I've used 2-3 monitors and never had a problem because they always had the same resolution as my development machine. However, thesedays almost all 22-24" monitors you can find are 1920x1080 and not 1680x1050.

Did you hide the taskbar on your development PC? The screensize, from which you subtract 1 pixel, is the total useable area, excluding the taskbar. Depending on the OS and the taskbar settings, the taskbar is visible for 1 or 2 pixel, when it is minimized or even when it is hidden.

You can hide the taskbar, set the option to use "small icons" or alternatively you could try and set the entry RT_CYMAINFRAME on the development PC ~60 pixel less. e.g. 990 instead of 1049

Yes, the taskbar is hidden. I have Windows 7 Pro x64 on my development machine, and zenons 6.21sp1, 6.22sp0 and 6.51sp0 installed in parallel (have to maintain various projects implemented with different zenon versions). However, the problem with adjusting screens to different monitor resolutions occurs always if using more than 1 monitor, even on Windows XP, so I don't think the problem is related to to the OS. I'm just wondering if that effect is really the problem with zenon or am I doing something wrong. Once again, to put it in a few words: if using more than 1 monitor and have the option "Adjust to monitor resolution" checked in a monitor profile, it simply does not work for me - the resolution will not be adjusted, regardless of the zenon or OS version.