Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Prot. Relay-Power supply failure monitoring

janlyndon Gast

Default Prot. Relay-Power supply failure monitoring

Hello,

I want to monitor the relay (IEC61850 protocol) if it losses power supply. I already have monitoring of losing communication to that relay by SNMP.

There's a variable called 27DCT in the relay that tell if power supply is available, it says "true" at normal condition. My question is, how can i interprete that variable in SCADA to be "false" meaning to alarm as Power supply failure if i already loses communication to the relay once power supply is out?

Thanks

Default Re: Prot. Relay-Power supply failure monitoring

In zenon all variables read from a plc and also in case IEC61850 when read from the protection relay have a status for the quality. It is called the I-Bit. (see online Help)
    You can create an alarm by using the Reaction Matrix watching the I-Bit status.

Important for the IEC61850 communication is that you have at least one variable not in a report, mean that at least one variable is polled from the driver. Because if the power fails no report wil be sent :-(

Markus

janlyndon Gast

hi mark,

can you set an example on using the I-Bit, It's confusing me. I tried monitoring the quality for status, but didn't change though power is off already to relay.

I have a recommendation for your topic, but this is not an intervention

If you want to monitor power supply losses or internal relay fail (IRF) for a protection device and also want to consider the monitoring these states being independent of the communication link, the best and most common method, to request above data from beside relay.

All protection devices have IRF output contact that includes power supply fail condition, it means configure it as a contact input in beside or backup protection, so you can easily monitor it from them.

I'm hoping to be useful.

janlyndon Gast

Hi Roberto,

Actually, i requested the switchgear manufacturer to connect the IRF or relay watchdog contact to another relay, this is the most easier way but they refused and insist that it can be soft monitored from that relay itself from Zenon. So i am trying to sort it out if we can really avoid wiring the IRF contact.

Quote Originally Posted by markusw View Post
    In zenon all variables read from a plc and also in case IEC61850 when read from the protection relay have a status for the quality. It is called the I-Bit. (see online Help)
    You can create an alarm by using the Reaction Matrix watching the I-Bit status.

Important for the IEC61850 communication is that you have at least one variable not in a report, mean that at least one variable is polled from the driver. Because if the power fails no report wil be sent :-(

Markus
    Hi
    Follow instruction of markusw, I done like this way and I think it work fine.
    I received a variable call "../LLN0/Health/stVal[ST] " and I do not tick this variable in dataset/report control. I set the polling rate in zenon" Driver/IEC61850" 10000 ms for polling device.
    Make a reaction matrix for Health with type "Analog" and check I-Bit (0 : ok, 1: fail)
    So every 10s , zenon will poll this variable and display right status of device.

Best regards.

janlyndon Gast

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Hi
    Follow instruction of markusw, I done like this way and I think it work fine.
    I received a variable call "../LLN0/Health/stVal[ST] " and I do not tick this variable in dataset/report control. I set the polling rate in zenon" Driver/IEC61850" 10000 ms for polling device.
    Make a reaction matrix for Health with type "Analog" and check I-Bit (0 : ok, 1: fail)
    So every 10s , zenon will poll this variable and display right status of device.

Best regards.
    Hi,

I have tried using "../LLN0/Health/stVal[ST] and used reaction matrix I-Bit configuration. I have seen the value is 1; when i lost power to relay, and losing communication, zenon retains the last known value 1. Though i can show an alarm color for losing the communication but i am expecting the value should return to zero (0) so i can show that in alarm page or CEL. Any idea?

janlyndon Gast

Quote Originally Posted by janlyndon View Post
    Hi,

I have tried using "../LLN0/Health/stVal[ST] and used reaction matrix I-Bit configuration. I have seen the value is 1; when i lost power to relay, and losing communication, zenon retains the last known value 1. Though i can show an alarm color for losing the communication but i am expecting the value should return to zero (0) so i can show that in alarm page or CEL. Any idea?
    Any Idea here?
    Thanks

When the power fails, the communication fails. The variable does not change back to 0 (the zenon driver did not receive a value change).

However if there is a communication interruption, a special statusbit "INVALID" or "I-BIT" is set (to 1) at the variable. With a reaction matrix, you can react on this statusbit, and generate an alarm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	405

please don't forget, to link the reaction matrix with the I-BIT evaluation, to your variable!

janlyndon Gast

Hi mark,

Thanks for clarifications. Is it possible to shortened the detection time of losing communication to display an alarm? It's around 27seconds ellapse before an alarm is shown.

Thanks,